TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the rear axle on my dad's '03 Marauder broke somehow. One of the shafts started slipping in and out of the rear end. He doesn't do crazy stuff with the car, drives it in a spirited fashion of course. We're both like "WTF!?". He was able to limp it over to the dealership and they "have" to rebuild the axle to the tune of $1200. One of the techs told my dad this has become a somewhat common occurrence in the Panther bodied cars because Ford is going cheap on the rear ends. Anyone ever heard of this or is this total BS? I call BS. There is no reason why the rear end in a stock Marauder should fail at a little over 90,000 miles. Lol, he had just finished "passing" a Mustang GT getting on the highway. :D Probably didn't help the situation much, considering the rear end started making noise a couple months ago. He took it to the dealership then, and they told him there was nothing wrong. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
There is, if I recall, a brace or something, near the center section, that breaks...i have seen cop cars come in for service over this

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like a pan-hard bar? One of the axles started slipping out to the point that differential lube was being slung all over the place. My dad initially though it was a brake line leak because the brakes weren't working as well. He said they felt kinda spongy.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I thought there was a problem with soft axle shafts in the 03 Panthers.

·
Super Moderator
10,416 Posts

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did a C-clip fail?
That's what my dad and I are thinking.

I thought there was a problem with soft axle shafts in the 03 Panthers.
Did Ford change the shafts around that time period?

That's fairly common with very hard cornering, iirc.

I'm really happy ours can't fall out. :)
He never really does any hard cornering, just straight line acceleration type stuff...when ever he does do stuff.

Yeah, me too. I think I put my car through more than my dad does the Marauder.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Yes, 03 got new wider axles and high positive offset wheels, each axle shaft is ~2 inches longer 03+ over previous years.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Problem is the wheel bearing went bad and ate thru the axle shaft I'll bet money this is what happened

Robert

·
Registered
536 Posts
The 03s had soft axles and Ford changed them under warranty. If Ford checked your dad's car while it was still under warranty, then you can make the case that the axles should have been changed at that time as there was already a TSB to do this. Complain to your regional service manager if it goes that far.

Mitch

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
That recall for the soft axles did not cover all civillian cars, IIRC. I have an 03 LX Sport and have replaced both rear axles myself after the dealer told me "Nope not on the list of covered vehicles, sorry!". Said if it was a PI then it qualified. Of course they offered to do it for some crazy amount of $$.

When I checked the pass. side axle I had a good 1/8 of up/down play in the wheel. I could grab the rim and physically see that the wheel would move in the direction. As soon as I pulled the axle I could see where the bearing was eating at the axle. Drivers' side wan't too bad but was starting.

So after 2 new axles and a gear oil refill I'm good to go. Oh, and this failed around 90K miles. And no, it doesn't get beat on either (my wife drives it most of the time anyway). The rear end holds up fine, its the cheap axles that suck.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Ford was replacing 03 Marauder axles. My father's car failed the axles and they were changed with less than a year under his extended warranty.

Mitch

1 - 15 of 15 Posts