TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 LX is hurting pretty bad all over and my wife and I are deciding to park her until I can get to fixing/upgrading everything that needs to be done.

While the car is parked we will need a reliable daily driver that will still fit our tastes, which have been narrowed quite a bit since we got our Tbird. I went out to check out some birds, cats, and marks the other day (even though I don't have the money to get one yet, figured I'd see what's avail locally) I found a few birds that were a bit over priced or over used :( I did find one MarkVIII that I like a lot and the price is cheap. I have some questions though.

Here is a link to the car, it says 95 MarkVIII - body needs very little work, interior is very nice needing very little, needs a tune up, oil change, tranny service, and something is very noisy in the front end.

http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/1995_Lincoln_Mark+VIII_157030947_3

Question 1: I've heard that no Marks ever came out of factory with a trac loc is this correct? Reason I ask is that while on a test drive I was checking acceleration and instantly went sideways on dry pavement and flat ground, I rechecked and it did it again so I am inclined to believe that this car has one, that and the nice number 11 it left both times.

Question 2: Did all the Marks of this age come with air ride? This one does not have it, but I don't know if it was changed or never came with it.

Question 3: I think the price is good for the car in the condition it is in, but I'm asking ppl that know more than me, this means you :) do you think it's a good price for a car only needing what I stated above?

Question 4:The computer keeps saying the door is ajar when both doors were closed securely, is this a possible computer problem or is it more likely a loose wire on a sensor on one of the doors or something simple like that?

Thanks as always for any help guys, much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
9,187 Posts
Correct, all Marks have an open diff and air ride. Coil conversions are common because failed air bags or leaks are common too. :)

The door ajar thing is common too. The switch at the bottom of the hinge gets stuck after years. The accepted fix is to load it up with WD-40 multiple times and just let it work its way loose. I was impatient and pulled it out and picked at it with a screwdriver. :rolleyes:

That price does seem pretty good. Be on the lookout for the usual problems though. Check the trans fluid, make sure all the shifts are smooth etc. Also check the headlights - chances are the chrome plating at the back is burned off and your night vision will be impaired.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips and info. I appreciate it and I had no idea about the headlights, I will have to check that the next time I go to look at it.

I guess someone did some kind of mods/upgrades to it, because like I said there is no doubt that this thing has more punch off the line than I thought a stock mark should and it will sit there burning as long as you want it to do so. I will check into it further and see what I can find out, the dealer really knows nothing about the car except that he wants it gone lol.

Then tranny shifts beautifully, OD works, I also tested the OD switch that works too, oh one more question I couldn't find a TC button on it, and it didn't seem to have Traction Control??? Again Thanks for the info.

·
Super Moderator
9,187 Posts
The TC button should be under the climate control next to the rear window defrost button/cigarette lighter - if it has it.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep definately did not have a button in that location lol, so I guess it doesn't have it, oh well one less button to push on the line :) Thanks again Brandon, I love it when it's simple stuff to fix and not a nightmare lol.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Figured I'd put this here since I didn't want to start a new thread again :)

My Father in law bought the kids some bunkbeds (2 sets) for the kids and I just needed to figure out how the heck I was getting the 75lb box x 2 home. I knew I was not going to put them on the roof of the bird for sure. My chevy caprice is down because of a quadrajunk going bad, so what to do?????? We unfortunately had to rent a pickup from u-haul. :( Well that's the way I felt until I drove the darn thing. OMFG!!!! It had some power!!!

When I got back to the house with the truck I popped the hood and darn near fell over, it had a 5.0 DOHC mod motor in it!!!! Coyote???? Don't know but man did it scream lol. I didn't feel so bad about renting it at that point since I really need a smile as often as possible these days and that F150 put one on my face today. Just figured I'd share that story with you guys, and I wish I had the money and the resources to rent it for a week and they wouldn't notice that they got a smoking, 4.6 sohc when it came back would they !?!?!?!?!? LOL.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Justin, I've had a rough go of it since I got down here bro, if you didn't read the few posts I made... just check out the sig, and yeah lot's of other stuff too just not going to go into it atm.

Hopefully I will get the Mark and be able to give some very much needed attention to the Bird. She deserves it and it's long overdue imo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts