TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i just got the first of two boxs from the mail man.

the first box would just happen to be a Marauder flywheel :D

talking to dennis he said the second box will be here Monday or Tuesday.

In the second box is the Marauder torque converter :eek:

I paid a total of $195.00 shipped for both of the items.

they will go in the first day that i do not work and since i am out of school the project wll get started and finished very quickly.

well since i am getting this i think that i am going to have more problems with the trans once i get it in. i have the common 3rd and 4th gear shurdder so i am hoping that it will fix that but i think that once i get it in i will go out driving hard in the near future and i will stall it out and the transmission will break. it does have 143000 on the clock so i do not know if that is going to break. and the shift kit does really make the transmission last any longer.
i will keep you guys posted on the process.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Dude, better pony up some more lana and buy your self a 98 GT Tranny or if you have more buy a 99-higher tranny.. Your tranny is bout to die on you, sooner more than later, just my .02

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
He didn't say anything that would make me think his trans is going out. the shudder is the TC, which he will be changing.

Yes the J-mod extends the life of the trans.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
id wait, and find, any 4r70w with low miles, j mod the sucker put that TC on it and bolt it up, but hey his green his car

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my 18th b-day is July 1st. :D

of course i will end up getting a nice sum of money(under $800 )! as far as i know the trans has 143000 miles on it,

the torque converter that is in it now is gone it will not even lock up with out slipping :(

:confused: i don't know what i am going to do. i want it in because i can not stand looking at a part and not being able to use it, but if the trans blows up and take the torque converter with it i will be pissed and out another $195 and a trans $600 (maybe)

i have a good question that i don't know
since the converters' stall is going to be around 2500 ( i am hoping ) if i stall it out and race with it ( i know i will if i put it in who would not thou ) will it hurt the trans not the racing , but it being stalled so high then being dropped liked that?

if i go ahead and get a 99 trans out of a mustang will i have to get any other parts to make it hook up?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and the shift kit is a electronic B&M shift plus so i don't think that it is going to help save it but more then likely help break it. i do not use it hardly at all it has to settings one a little bit harder then stock and the other is race use only and it slams the gears.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
My tranny has 145,000 and counting. I bet mine sees more abuse than his does. I am thinking about starting a pool, how long til my tranny decides its done fighting the good fight. Everytime I drive it I expect it to stop working.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My tranny has 126,o0o I used to have that shutter ; changed the fluid it looked smelled and felt good. NOT a single metal shaving in the tray or on the magnet. I added some trans honey. Very little shutter . I don't even get shutter if i drive it hard. No shutter if I manualy shift. Well When i changed to fluid it had 90,000 and like i said not a single shaving. YEah I was amazed too. I have a good feeling the tranny's in these birds where ment to last.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
o contray, there meant to die at a certain milegde, if you dont have a jmod and cooler, but then again some trannys can be freaks and really last, and if your car didnt have any medal shavings, then it had a very easy life for a while, mine was a little fuzzy when we cleaned it off, but wasnt to bad

·
Registered
146 Posts
well if mine decides to blow then it will be time for a new drivetrain. The only thing i'm going to do now is 4.10 gears. And I figure that will take some strain off the trans. I know a guy who works for roush racing. I asked him to look into getting me a catolog. He said he can get 20% off the book price. so lets hope I got the hook up. I might be getting some other stuff if this is the case.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Scotty855: what do you mean by dropped? You asked "will it hurt the trans not the racing , but it being stalled so high then being dropped liked that?"

If you're asking about launching with the converter at stall speed and the trans in gear, no it won't hurt it. Get a cooler if you're gonna do it often. If, however, you're asking about reving in neutral and then dropping the trans into gear (a neutral drop)...yeah, that'll kill it quick.

And about that B&M Shift Improver...I've heard/read more than once that those heat up and can get hot enough to cause a fire...just a word of caution.

Oh yeah, and be sure to add a trans cooler...if you don't have one already. You're especially gonna need it with that converter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't think you've got a lot to worry about. My 97 is at 185,000 miles and still shifts great. And it hasn't lived an easy life either!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wow thats good to hear. looks like I've got time to save up for an engine swap. Just get the tranny and staller then. woo hoo!

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
Mine had 111k on it when I pulled it and shifted like a champ, and it didnt have its first fluid change till 70k, when I found the plug in there. Man was it black....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
neutral drop ( NO ) I will never do that i know not to do that. i have always had sticks in my RX-7 ( i had 2, i used to like the import scene, better swimsuit com ):D

yes i was meaning in gear stall it out then launch it, don't know to much about the auto right now. i am planning on getting a cooler the first weeks of July but my last pay check that i will get in June will go to rotors and ball joints.

when i put in the new converter because i think that i have decided that i will put it in on the this trans what when i am in there things should i do.

filter ? start naming some things

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
weswing04 said:
he said it has 143k miles on it. do they last a lot longer than that GB?
the life of a trans can vary greatly. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
ok, get a 24gvw b&m cooler and the j-mod, dont get the b&m shift improver, it makes alot more heat, it shortens the life of your tranny and id bet money my j-moded car shifts faster then any automatic 4r70w with a b&m shift kit in it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i have the B&M shift impover now i will get a 24000 gvw B&M supercooler next monday that is when i decided to put the torque converter. i don't think that i will do the j-mod to this trans, i was thinking that i will get put the cooler on and the converter then get new rear tires then get a whole new trans j-mod that.

this is all pinned on that the trans now doesn't blow up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts