TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in my 91 T-bird the Check Engine light has been on for 5 months, since I bought it.
I was at the local parts store today, and had some cash left after other purchases and figured, "hey, I'll buy a code scanner and see if I can track down that DTC"
So I hook it up, and sure enough I get codes 113 "ACT VOLTAGE TOO HIGH"
and code 998 "RUNNING IN FAILURE MODE"

I ran back inside and bought the sensor.
Not sure of the mounting position, I start looking, and looking, and looking.
No sensor.
But I do find a mostly round, square at the corner plug sitting under the upper intake on the right side, and near that in the lower intake is a PLUG!!!
So I pulled, the plug out, installed the sensor, and started to car.

BAM!!! Just like that 5 months of wasting gas is over.

What the HELL was that guy thinking??????? How do you even begin to come up with a decision like that?????

Of course, I initially wanted to give the guy a little credit, and think, "Maybe the circut is bad, and the sensor isn't gonna hold."
But after driving it allnight with flawless (and undoubtably much better) performance, I've decided that he was just an idiot, who should have taken it to the shop.

This car has had an intake swap I think ( I know they painted it, I'm assuming it was for a swap. The lower intake looks brand new, upper just looks painted to match) so I am assuming that jack *** did the work him self, got a plug with the install kit for the lower intake, and figured this intake didn't need that sensor to work, so he just put the plug in.
Or it came with the plug installed and he just never even thought about it when he put in back in.
Hell, he might have even sold it because he couldn't figure this out!!!

Regaurdless, I figured this tale of dumb-assidry would amuse some of you, as it did me.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
And this took you 5 months to track down? Come again, Who's the dumbass? The guy who deleted the sensor, or the one that took 5 months to figure out it's missing? ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Southpaw said:
And this took you 5 months to track down? Come again, Who's the dumbass? The guy who deleted the sensor, or the one that took 5 months to figure out it's missing? ;)
Okay, 5 months of not bothering to even try to fix it then. Cause I havent till today. ;) So I think for one days work I did good. I also found out that the computer wiring harness on my mustang is bad, and that 75$ will get her back on the road, and that going out is the whole reason I bought this car, so I'm in the green on fixing things today.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts