TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this is tl;dr then just skip to the end.

Last night, some friends and I were changing spark plugs on someone's truck. Well, then someone else shows up (a somehow ASE Certified mechanic) and starts acting like he knows everything about everything ever, but basically proving just the opposite to everyone.
"This is not the right plug for this truck. See how this one (original platinum) has a pointed tip but this one (new copper) doesn't? That means that (louder, cockier) this is NOT the right plug for this truck!"
"The numbers don't even match up!" (comparing original NGK to new AC Delco)
"I have AC Delco triple platinum iridiums in my truck!"
No one was really saying much about him or arguing with him... then I decided to. I told him you can't get a plug that's both platinum and iridium, it's either platinum or iridium; I've heard of triple platinums, and iridiums, but never triple platinum iridiums because they don't exist. He started throwing around his ASE Certification (which meant nothing to me before, and even less now) and I told him "I work at a f'in parts store, I would know this!" Then all remnants of intelligence disappear and he just threatens to slap me. I didn't even get a chance to tell him why the tips look different (plats vs copper, duh) and why the numbers don't match (NGK and AC don't have the same numbers because they're different companies), but oh well, I had my fun making him look like even more an idiot than before in front of something like 10-12 people.

Blah blah blah, long story short, the truck ran better with the new coppers, the idiot left saying "F you guys," to which almost all of us replied with a "F you too," and ASE Certification doesn't cure stupidity.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
thats goes back to the saying, educated idiot,,,,

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Yeah, I love that. The "certified techs" come out of the woodwork every time a hood opens.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I'm ASE certified, but i'm the first to admit when i dont know something. Certification basically means you can study and pass a test. I'm good with cars, but i dont consider myself "all knowing" or an "expert" (i believe there is no such thing as an "expert")

That being said, you all bow down before me for your inferior Knowledge of the automotive machine!!!!!!!!

j/k

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
:uppoint:

That makes you a Certified Technician, not a "certified tech". The smartest human being is the one who will honestly answer "I don't know, but I can find out!"

·
Registered
874 Posts
dude i will agree with you i am ASE certified in engine diag, Brakes, and suspension. even though i have been doing these things long before i got my ASE's i will admit i still don't know it all, and probably never will.

That makes you a Certified Technician, not a "certified tech". The smartest human being is the one who will honestly answer "I don't know, but I can find out!"
right there with ya. i would rather ask if i dont know then to guess and be wrong and causing every tech's nightmare of a customer COMEBACK......:(

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
My dad was a mechanic & hated the ASE crap. He never wore the patches, or posted the certificates because he thought it was such BS.

It was called something else before ASE so that tells you how long ago it was.

·
Registered
674 Posts

Truer words have never been spoken *tear* :) I used to work w/ guys who thought they knew it all, and dont get me wrong, they knew a lot, but not all. Ppl like that have a hard time thinking outside the box... We had a car in our shop (toyota camry) that had ice cold a/c, but after driving w/ it on for 20 min or so, it'd just quit. He replaced the compressor, the evaporator, all the auto climate control sensors, the head unit, nothing fixed it... Finally said it couldnt be fixed and I looked at it. I was poking around looking for anything out of the ordinary and noticed one of the relays in the fuse box was swelled up a lil bit and hot to the touch... turns out that relay was for the compressor. I replace it. Fixed. Never saw the car again. :D That dude spent HOURS trying to fix what turned out to be a 2 dollar part that took 30 seconds to replace :rolleyes: The car came back on him like 7 or 8 times, lol...

Sorry, just had to share, i'm still pretty proud of that one. He had been a tech for 30 plus years at that point. :D

·
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter
2,073 Posts
I am FAA certified (Airframe & Powerplant) which is a tad higher then ASE and I sure as hell don't know crap LOL. Know your subject and if you are not sure admit it. Blindly going forward on your own sense of self importance is a recipe for disaster.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts