TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a knocking noise coming from my engine somewhere. I can't tell if its low or high, but I can hear it the most on the passengers side. I have an 89 3.8 n/s T-bird. Its kind of a knocking or clicking noise at idle and it gets faster as the engine revs faster. Any ideas on what this is?

Thanks
Patrick

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
could be the belt or one of the pulleys is lose. Have you looked at the engine while it's idling? that would be a good idea to see where it's coming from. Sorry I can't help you more.
-Thomas

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everything there looks fine. It kind of sounds like it is coming from under the throttle body or from one of the heads possibly. But you know how noises are, they are a pain to locate. If anyone else can help I would greatly appreciate it. Also, Someone said I could possibly have an exhaust leak or a bad o2 sensor. Any thoughts?

Patrick

·
Administrator
8,694 Posts
Patrick.....

Are you hearing a ticking like noise? If you are you might be hearing the fuel injectors.

Joe

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I use a center from a used up paper towel roll. It helps in pionting the sound.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ticking Noise

My 91 ticks rapidly at idle and it is annoying as hell(to me). I found out that it is my PVC Valve ticking its butt off. I will be replacing it tomorrow. Just maybe yours is too. With the engine running pull the valve out of the valve cover, and you'll know if thats your problem.

Lee

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hoe many miles are on your engine? Does it sound like it is comming from under the valve cover? Then it is probably your lifters are going bad.

Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts