TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it finally happened to my 94 LX, I knew something was going strange when my passenger window started chattering and slowing down at certain spots when rolled up. Today, coming back from lunch, it just quit altogether.
You guessed it, the three little torque pins had become obliterated in the gearbox part of the motor.
This is nothing new for most of us, but thankfully, the local parts stores, in my case, Orielly’s, had the Dorman parts to fix my problem. Rarely, you may need to replace the entire motor assembly, but, most of the time, it is those pins that just fall apart.

Something to note, does anyone else love how fast our Windows roll up and down? Fastest ones I have ever seen! I love my MN12 Tbird! Can’t wait to get my 95 SC back in the game!!

For those that face this issue, here are the part numbers for both the kit that has the main drive gear and the three pins, and just the pins alone.

Dorman window lift motor gearbox repair kit:
#747-409

Dorman Window Lift motor gearbox Torque Pins:

Maybe this will help someone out down the road.

Ya’all have a great weekend and Labor Day!

-Phil

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,317 Posts
Always good part numbers to know. Thanks for the info!

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
19,705 Posts
The windows in these cars are the last of the guillotines, love them 😆

Knock on wood I never had to replace these in the Cougar in the many many years I’ve owned it. I think lack of use (Climate control on all the time) gums them up and they break when used, that’s my only explanation.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,574 Posts
Funnily enough I did the gear plugs in the 97 for the first time a couple months ago. Went to the local parts place and picked up a set of these plugs and installed them.... and a few weeks later they busted up again! I had suspected what they gave me were oooooooooooold and dried out when I put them in, and it turns out I was right. So I get to do it again.

·
Super Moderator
8,080 Posts
3 1/4-20 nuts do the job perfectly, cost literally pennies, and are guaranteed to never fail again.

• Wow
Reactions: cntinuum and irvin

·
Registered
1994 XR7 , 46 most every option. 66.000 miles. rustfree, from washington state.
392 Posts
mine are still working. just jinxed myself !

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
I got polyurethane rod and cut my own when I needed them many years ago.

·
Super Moderator
8,080 Posts
I think that's how a passenger ends up with broken fingers when there knee hits the poorly placed up/down button.
Considering the plastic plugs have enough strength to shatter the tempered glass window when something gets in its way, I fail to see how putting metal in their place could result in more pressure being applied in the rare instance that someone is stupid enough to roll the window all the way up onto their fingers. Plus the teeth on the plastic gear would be the weak link long before the plastic plugs, and we never hear of those breaking. The real reason for the plastic plugs is to reduce the clunk noise when the window hits the top or bottom. They are not a safety device by any stretch of the imagination.

Reactions: XR7-4.6 and irvin

·
Registered
109 Posts
Amazon also carries the Dorman window regulator plugs. I've had to replace them in both doors over the last couple years:
Amazon.com: Dorman 74410 Window Regulator Gear Plug, Pack of 3 , Black : Automotive

(Off topic) Also, the plastic panel under the front of the car that sometimes gets ripped loose on parking lot bump stops...no idea what plastic retainer rivet is used, but these Dorman retainers from Amazon fit & work perfectly to reattach the panel. Used it six months ago to reattach mine that came loose and was hanging down:
Amazon.com: Dorman 963-202D GM Bumper Retainer for Select Cadillac/Chevrolet Models : Automotive

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Amazon also carries the Dorman window regulator plugs. I've had to replace them in both doors over the last couple years:
Amazon.com: Dorman 74410 Window Regulator Gear Plug, Pack of 3 , Black : Automotive

(Off topic) Also, the plastic panel under the front of the car that sometimes gets ripped loose on parking lot bump stops...no idea what plastic retainer rivet is used, but these Dorman retainers from Amazon fit & work perfectly to reattach the panel. Used it six months ago to reattach mine that came loose and was hanging down:
Amazon.com: Dorman 963-202D GM Bumper Retainer for Select Cadillac/Chevrolet Models : Automotive
Good find on the retainers. Mine on my 94 LX has yet to break, but the one on my 95 SC is all but broken. I will have to get some of these!

Thanks Neuro!

·
Super Moderator
11,671 Posts
The best kit for those is the ACDelco one;the parts are better, and the lubricant included is awesome.

·
Super Moderator
5,716 Posts
The best kit for those is the ACDelco one;the parts are better, and the lubricant included is awesome.
Do you have the part number for that one?

RwP

·
Super Moderator
11,671 Posts
Let me go look, it may be awhile, lol.

I apparently used the last one I had; I did hinge pins and module on the tbird not too long ago.
Blue moly grease was what set it alart; it looks a lot like the ACI one on RA...

Reactions: RalphP
1 - 16 of 16 Posts