TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so today when i was in stop and go traffic i put the car in second to keep from constantly shifting from 1 to 2. so when i started to move forward the car started to vibrate until i hit maybe 7-10 mph. what do you guys think this could be?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
nothing wrong at all just hate having to make 7 or 8 shifts when i can just keep it in 2nd. just my thinking but figured that keeping it from shifting more than it has to might help with wear and tear. I've gotten the jmod and a tune. another thing is that it doesn't do it all the time

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Probably the torque converter shuttering. Why are you manually shifting your auto? What else is wrong with the car?
+1 My guess from available info is torque converter shutter, too.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,576 Posts
My thought is also torque converter shudder.

BTW (I may be mistaken) but I think I read a few times that keeping the car in manual 2nd all the time isn't a good idea because of something related to higher than normal line pressures. :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
My thought is also torque converter shudder.

BTW (I may be mistaken) but I think I read a few times that keeping the car in manual 2nd all the time isn't a good idea because of something related to higher than normal line pressures. :confused:
Well, it's only common sense, taking off in 2nd all the time HAS to be harder on the tranny than 1st. Definitely more heat being generated by the torque converter since it is so hard to spin the tranny input shaft.

I'm just sayin'.....

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info, i will stop keeping it in 2nd. but i have another question, the tune that i received from don makes first gear want to rev high before shifting sometimes. would it be all right to shift into 2nd from drive to make the shift sooner? and the car doesn't vibrate all the time actually only felt it twice in probley a months time and both times i was in 2nd should i be looking for a new TC or just keep an eye out for the car acting funny.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
thanks for the info, i will stop keeping it in 2nd. but i have another question, the tune that i received from don makes first gear want to rev high before shifting sometimes. would it be all right to shift into 2nd from drive to make the shift sooner? and the car doesn't vibrate all the time actually only felt it twice in probley a months time and both times i was in 2nd should i be looking for a new TC or just keep an eye out for the car acting funny.
Before I would start shopping for anything, I would get your car on a lift and look for something loose - ds bolts, tailshaft housing, u-joints, cv joints, suspension bushings, converter nuts, etc.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dont have a lift but do have some ramp so i will look at tomorrow thanks for the advice. ill post what i find tomorrow

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,576 Posts
thanks for the info, i will stop keeping it in 2nd. but i have another question, the tune that i received from don makes first gear want to rev high before shifting sometimes. would it be all right to shift into 2nd from drive to make the shift sooner?
I'd drop him an e-mail and ask if he can lower the low throttle shift points so it feels more 'stock' at light throttles, but stays in performance mode when you get on it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if the tc is going bad could that cause ur car to stall when coming to a stop.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
if the tc is going bad could that cause ur car to stall when coming to a stop.
I have seen that happen, but on a GM, not a Ford.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
is there any way to test ur iac value

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
this is basically what has been happening. if i give the car some gas it wants to die when i come to a stop. if i drive average its fine.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I believe when you manually shift to 2nd it clamps the OD band down on the drum. The vib could be the OD band slipping and is probably toast. How many miles on the trans?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
170,000 but about 70,000 is highway miles. i just started manually shifting not even 2months ago.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
More than likely the roller clutch is not holding and when it releases you are left in 1st gear, when it holds you get second. I don't know why so many people wnat to manually shift this transmission. If it doesn't shift the way ou want it to talk to a tuner, manual selection is only useful for holding range, not correcting shift patterns. For example in trucks when towing going down a big hill with a curve using manual second is easier on the truck than riding the brakes for all they are worth.
Alan

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thank you for info DD. do u think this is what's causing the car to stall sometimes?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts