TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay a couple years ago, I spray painted my computer case black...the paint slowly chipped, so last summer I got the brilliant (yeah right) idea to paint it yellow, and now it looks even worse becuase there is primer/black/yellow all showing through, so what I want to do is get some really strong thinner and get ALL the paint off the metal parts of the case. The front of the case is plastic....how would i get the paint off without totally melting the plastic (is there any chemical that will take the paint off the plastic but not hurt it?!) My main concern is the metal though, I could alwyas sand and sand and sand then re-paint the front of the case. I want to get the metal down to just bare-ness and then paint the front silver or something to have a nice metal-ish look.

thanks

eArl

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'd try paint remover for the metal parts - acetone would also work, but is really hazardous. For the plastic parts, standard paint thinner might do the job, if you didn't use lacquer paint. Do NOT use lacquer thinner, acetone, or paint remover on the plastic - these WILL melt the plastic.

Maybe it'd be less hassle to just get another case - they're so inexpensive these days. As a matter of fact, I've got a new case, (incl. ATX power supply), that's still in the box that I'd let go for $25 plus shipping. I bought it as an extra when I thought I might be building another computer, and it was so nice I wanted to be sure I'd have it when needed. But I never used it, so it's just in storage. The sides come off with just 2 screws, so it's really easy to work with.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Go to autozone and buy some aircraft paint remover in either the metal can and brush it on, or in the spray can and spray it on... Either way, it will work on the metal but do not, I repeat DO NOT put it on the plastic or you'll probably end up with a blob of disolved plastic goo. I haven't tried it on plastic and it doesn't affect it immediately(cause thats what you use to scrape the bubbled up paint off) but may disolve it over the course of a few minutes. When you do this, have something plastic to scrape the bubbled up paint off and it will all come off in minutes.

For the plastic the sandpaper is the way to go. Unless you are daring and want to try the remover on it.

To illustrate the power of this stuff, it will quickly dissolve the coating off of a nice 89-92 SC wheel... I've heard that the wheels are clear powdercoat, which is extraordinarily tough stuff and that is a testament to the stripper.

Good luck
Willum

1 - 4 of 4 Posts