TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. I sounds like something in the trunk. I've removed everything from the trunk and it's still there. I've also gotten underneath and pulled and prodded and found nothing loose.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,527 Posts
My trunk lid hinge bolts worked their way loose and it was making noise, tightening them up solved that. Probably not your issue if you're getting a 'clunk' but it's worth checking.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
A rubber mallet will help find where the clunk but I'll put money on the endlinks too. Mine was making a clunk as well and it ended up being the endlinks.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Mine were bad too. But since my rear sub-frame swap, that has gone away... ;)

Speaking of which. I thought the Mark VIII rear sway bars were smaller than the Bird's, but mine feels noticeably stiffer in the back now with the Mark VIII rear sub-frame; maybe because it was an LSC it came out of?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not sure Ive been afraid of swapping mine since its a sport and I like the stiffness but if an LSC is stiffer I would be interested.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Not sure Ive been afraid of swapping mine since its a sport and I like the stiffness but if an LSC is stiffer I would be interested.
I have no clue, but I will grab the micrometer at work and measure it tomorrow. You can measure yours too, and we'll compare who is bigger... :rofl: Sorry, I couldn't resist.....

I believe yours is a .96" solid sway bar, but I'm not positive by any means. I'll let you know my LSC bar size tomorrow.....

Looking at the pictures of the two sub-frames here, they look the same size :zdunno:
http://forums.tccoa.com/showpost.php?p=1315522&postcount=38

I believe the biggest stock Ford bars you could get can be found on the 1989 SC and XR-7's: 1.2" solid front sway bar and 1.1" solid rear

·
Registered
99 Posts
You ever measure it? I think the front sway on the sport is actually the same as stock just the rear is beefed up it is pretty thick lookin at it. My t-bird book says Sport package consists of 16 inch nine-spoke aluminum wheels wearing p225/60r16 touring tires, a larger rear stabilizer bar, larger front disc brake rotors, revised spring rates, revised front lower arm bushings, revised shock absorber valving and rear decklid spoiler with integral stop lamp. Gonna have to look into this some more

·
Registered
850 Posts
Are the swaybar end links also (not the the sway bar itself) different on the Sports Package in anyway, or are they the same as the regular end links?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts