TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the other day i went to start my car and it sounded like the starter didn't engage, and it just spun or something. I tried again and it worked fine, but every now and then it does it... Should i be worried? Here's a video (not mine) of what it sounds like. Notice how he tries to start it, but it's just a high pitched whine, then he tries again and it starts...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ufWJIVjL5QE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ufWJIVjL5QE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
the other day i went to start my car and it sounded like the starter didn't engage, and it just spun or something. I tried again and it worked fine, but every now and then it does it... Should i be worried? Here's a video (not mine) of what it sounds like. Notice how he tries to start it, but it's just a high pitched whine, then he tries again and it starts...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ufWJIVjL5QE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ufWJIVjL5QE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
The Starter does two things, spins up and engages a gear on the flywheel:
It has a solenoid that pushes the bendix against the flywheel. Otherwise you would have the little gear always on flywheel. Sounds like its time for a new starter or solenoid (IMHO just get a starter)

·
Super Moderator
10,651 Posts
Other Fords, 2300cc trucks for one, are well known to wear off the teeth where the engine usually stops. The fix for those is a new flex plate.

It could easily be the starter tho. If replacing it doesn't fix it, flexplate may be the issue. Look at it while you have the starter out.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Unfortunately from the video I only hear fuel pump whine, then the car starting up. Fuel pump should run for 2 seconds KOEO. If it is intermittently not doing anything, just a small click up front, it could be the small wire on the starter that has some corrosion.
-Rob

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, well then maybe it's not the same thing as in the video. It's not a small click up front though, it's just like an electric motor spinning freely, and the engine not turning over at all. Hopefully i have a little while before i have to replace my starter. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i had a 76 nova with a missing tooth on the ring gear. i would pop the hood, grab the fan belt and pull the engine over by hand a little. it would start next try. i don't think you're gonna do that with a 4.6, though.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Im gonna say that it sounds like your bendix isnt kicking out on the starter then. This can happen intermittently. If it was only a bad spot in the flywheel, it would probably make a horrible whine/grinding sound as it tried to get the engine to turn from that spot. You can bust out a socket and turn the engine slightly to get to a "good" spot on the flywheel and then it will actually crank good if this is the problem.
-Rob

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have never had to turn the engine by hand to get it to start. I just try again and it works.
Time to visit Autodrone or one of the other big box stores for a starter. You don't want to be left in the cold on an arctic upstate NY winter night. The other option could be dirty/oxidized cables or connectors, I've seen that too. I think the box stores can test your starter for current draw, may be worth a shot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts