TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought the wife a van about 2 months ago and took her wagon in preperation of our new baby. We have 3 children now and needed the extra space. A month ago I took the plates and insurance off the bird and so she sits on the side of my house........... doing nothing. My parents were supposed to buy it, however money issues have slowed that process, if at all. I go out there every couple days and start it up and drive it up and down the driveway to knock the surface rust off the rotors and just to move it keeping fluids flowing.

I do like the space I have with teh wagon, and it is pretty peppy, but it's NOT the Bird. I do really miss driving the car.......... I guess it's cause I spent many many years trying to get it off my parents(after seeing it sit for over 2 years unused, not running because of the intake issue), and over 2 years owning it. I dont really think that I could sell it to 'just anyone', but yet I dont have a need, or room, for 3 cars here. At this point I'm not really hard up for money, so I'm not in a dire immediate need to sell it. I moved the car last weekend to clear leaves from my property and just couldnt help to sit in the car for a couple minutes while it ran.

I kind of have been toying with getting rid of the wagon, and putting the bird back on the road for me. I 1/2 'jokingly' said it to the wife the other day and she had nothing to say about it.... :rolleyes: The thing is, that car has been with my mother to FL 3 times, I've been to almost canada with it, and have driven the crap out of it(and I'm not easy on my cars) and it's taken everything I have given to it. "thank you sir may I have another" comes to mind when I think of the bird. V8 RWD > FWD v6 any day of the week.

Sorry about the ranting but I've just been missing the bird lately and am second guessing getting rid of it, however family comes before my 'wants', eventhough I rarely use my car as a family car since the baby was born. That's what the van is there for.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
It sounds to me like you have answered your own question. The wagon sounds like it was your wife's car and the Thunderbird was your car, but now that she has the van you are stuck with the wagon. Before your baby was born you had one family car and one less convenient family car, now it sounds like you have two family cars but you don't need both.

I say sell the wagon as its redundant to the van and keep the Thunderbird. As soon as the kids are out of car seats or old enough to buckle themselves in, its not even inconvenient anymore. If you take the kids anywhere, take the van, or take an extra couple of minutes putting them in the 'bird, no big deal. In 5 years you will be glad you kept the Thunderbird.

Growing up my dad had a regular cab 5speed F-150 and my mom had an old Porsche 911, neither of those are family cars but my parents survived the slight inconvenience of car seats and held onto both vehicles. (they still have them)

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
Growing up my dad had a regular cab 5speed F-150 and my mom had an old Porsche 911, neither of those are family cars but my parents survived the slight inconvenience of car seats and held onto both vehicles. (they still have them)
That explains your need-for-speed in a Ford :diablo:

RwP

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
That explains your need-for-speed in a Ford :diablo:

RwP
Definitely. :D

I think growing up in vehicles with character definitely had a significant role in getting me interested in cars. What kid could grow up and like cars if all he does is ride around in the back row of a minivan?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I say keep it. It sounds like you will be happier.

Definitely. :D

I think growing up in vehicles with character definitely had a significant role in getting me interested in cars. What kid could grow up and like cars if all he does is ride around in the back row of a minivan?
I think your definitely on to something there. My grandmother drove a 65 mustang coupe with a 302 and my grandfather drove an impala with a 400, til I was 10.

·
Super Moderator
7,490 Posts
Just my $.02 here, but if the car is in good running condition, and you aren't making payments on it, it doesn't cost that much just to keep liability insurance on it, especially with it being a 3rd car. If it costs $100/mo (which it would probably be less than that unless you have a horrible driving record), that is only about $3/day to keep your bird on the road. Start packing a lunch instead of buying, or cut back on the basic cable, or don't go out to dinner as much, or put in an extra couple hours a week at work if that is an option, or something. It would be different if the car was worth a ton of money, or if you were still making payments on it, but given how cheap it is to keep it on the road, I wouldn't even consider selling it as an option.

Plus, I am of the opinion that every household should have at least 1 extra running/driving/legal vehicle just in case something happens. What if one of your cars died tomorrow and needed a $1500 repair? If the bird was ready to go, at least you can get back and forth to work every day until you save up the money, or decide what to do, or maybe even attepmt the repair yourself (which if you succeeded, that alone would more than justify the entire year's insurance in the bird). If your only means of transportation is down, you really don't have options, and that can put people in a position where they have to make a decision that may not be the most cost effective.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Growing up my parents had a 4 door Chevy Chevette........ with FOUR kids! Then again those were the days that there were NO carseats so all that bulky **** isnt taking up space.

Just my $.02 here, but if the car is in good running condition, and you aren't making payments on it, it doesn't cost that much just to keep liability insurance on it, especially with it being a 3rd car. If it costs $100/mo (which it would probably be less than that unless you have a horrible driving record), that is only about $3/day to keep your bird on the road. Start packing a lunch instead of buying, or cut back on the basic cable, or don't go out to dinner as much, or put in an extra couple hours a week at work if that is an option, or something. It would be different if the car was worth a ton of money, or if you were still making payments on it, but given how cheap it is to keep it on the road, I wouldn't even consider selling it as an option.

Plus, I am of the opinion that every household should have at least 1 extra running/driving/legal vehicle just in case something happens. What if one of your cars died tomorrow and needed a $1500 repair? If the bird was ready to go, at least you can get back and forth to work every day until you save up the money, or decide what to do, or maybe even attepmt the repair yourself (which if you succeeded, that alone would more than justify the entire year's insurance in the bird). If your only means of transportation is down, you really don't have options, and that can put people in a position where they have to make a decision that may not be the most cost effective.
I definately hear you on having the 'extra car' and I have had 3 cars before, however I really have 4 cars here. I have NJ manufacturers insurance(since you are from NJ you should know how low their rates are compaired to others in this lovely state) so it's not that bad. I pay just under $900/year for a higher liability coverage for both the wagon and van. I did keep the insurance on the bird for about a month, yearly to add that was $347 so it's NOT that bad at all, plus the tags which are $46/year. Again not that bad.....

Here's my 'issue' if you want to call it that..... I like to have a spare car that if the family car goes down, I can get everyone in and go till I fix the other. Now...... I have a 05 freestar that I use for work so that is my primary vehicle, my wife is out of work now so the van is her primary car which is the family car. That leaves the bird and the wagon as 'pleasure vehicles'. Honestly I like the Tbird more, it's in better shape........ and hell....... it's a v8, theres no comparison when it comes to the torque or the sound of it.

I have a 7 year old who is almost out of a carseat(damn government carseat laws), a 5.5 year old who is in a booster, and the newborn who is in a rear facing seat...... for now till she can go in a front facing seat. We can make it work in the bird. The way I see it is this....... I have to do work to the wagon, and the bird(pretty much the same parts need replacement) so which would I rather keep and put the money into? :rolleyes:

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Dude if the bird runs great Id keep it. Hard to let something like that go for me personally. Besides its something for your son one day to look forward to, drivng the bird.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
U need to keep a third car! What do you do if it's in the shop some repairs take a little time

·
Banned
998 Posts
Plus they do not make any car anymore like the Thunderbird.

The third car can come in very handy with a family.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dude if the bird runs great Id keep it. Hard to let something like that go for me personally. Besides its something for your son one day to look forward to, drivng the bird.
Cough..... daughter.... LOL All girls in my house and NO more children! :rolleyes: Funny enough I asked my oldest which car I should keep and she said "Daddy keep the gold one" My voice of reason.

And there Will come a time you will wish you did not let it go.
Darren, it's not even out of my driveway and I already feel that way. ;)

I always have a 'third car' cause I have the company vehicle, and I always keep 2 cars of my own for that simple fact that if something goes wrong, I have a backup. I said something to the wife again today about it. It's not HER decision, however anyone who's married knows that it really is. :D I have pleanty of time to make a decision, as I'm not in a rush to do anything right now. Too much stuff going on with bands that I play in that's coming up for the next 3 weeks so that, and work are taking up all my free time.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I don't ever drive my 73 bird........I may put 300 miles on it a year.
I'm married, and have 5 cars.
Wife doesn't care......but when I talk about picking up another toy, she then says, where are you going to put it?
She doesn't say, well, you need to sell the other car first.....I gots a good wife!

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Wife doesn't care......but when I talk about picking up another toy, she then says, where are you going to put it?
She doesn't say, well, you need to sell the other car first.....I gots a good wife!
Exactly word for word ;) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My wife doesnt care either. She actually was getting into me doing things with the car(unless it was just humoring me ;)). I havent heard "you need to get rid of a car" EVER, which is a good thing. I think it's more me who says there's too many cars sitting here. As it is right now, I use my car once a week to go to band practice, and now that the concert is tomorrow I probibly won't use the car other than maybe some local 'to the store and back' driving till Late January, so really there's no need for 4 cars to be here.I'm just so damn indecisive(I think I have car OCD), and I definately could use the money to finish off a room in the house. Just deciding on which one, and I'm more attached to the bird, than I am the wagon. Not only do I really like the car but it was my parents car, so it's kind of got sentimental value. I know my decision, my wife isnt going to argue with me, but I always have that thought that I have to get an 'approval' before doing it just because.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I made my decision today after sinking MORE money into that ****box van and still seeing leaks of fluids on my driveway. The wagon is going back to my wife and the Tbird is going back on the road for me as soon as the DMV opens again. Then the money pit.......er....... van is going to get sold off. I'm tired of dicking around with that van to make it something that it obviously is not....... a reliable family car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts