TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home on my lunch break on the highway, all of a sudden there's a sound like something breaking, and the engine dies. I manage to pull over, and the engine turns over, but won't start. Feels like it wants to, but just won't go. I don't hear anything knocking around, so I don't think I broke a rod or anything.. I mean the engine has less than 15 grand on it, and was rebuilt because the guy I bought it from snapped the crankshaft.

When I get home I'm going to check the compression on all my cylinders to make sure I didn't break anything major. If all those are okay, I'm going to check the timing chain next.

THe sound I heard is a little tough to describe, as it was fairly quick, and I was trying to get off the highway without getting killed. It wasn't very loud, and had a grinding/tapping nature to it.

*sigh* I'm gonna be a little upset if it's bad enough to have to do a rebuild, but at least I'll be able to throw some hi-po parts in it while I have it open.

Ideas/input?

·
Registered
219 Posts
if its hard to turn over. take a look at your fluids see if your antifreeze has mixed with oil.. when HG's go the engine is very hard to turn over

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
if HG went...there would be white smoke all over the back of the car from the tail pipes...

·
Registered
219 Posts
smokymance said:
if HG went...there would be white smoke all over the back of the car from the tail pipes...
not in all cases my sister had a aerostar with the 3.8 HG's went and it never had one bit of white smoke but it had every other symptom there was

·
Registered
798 Posts
Yeah, my headgaskets went in my car and were repaired now. I never saw any smoke out of the tailpipe. I think i had a small leak in the HG's.

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts