1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Shop around man. Most glass places down here will pay your deductible themselves and bill the rest to the insurance company.

When I had mine done last year they used a torch to heat up the glass and peeled off the tamper-proof inspection sticker and put it on the new windshield, the base sticker might not be too much harder.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Yeah I had a golfball sized rock bounce off/gouge my hood last week. :zsoapbox:

I think it got the Ram in front of me too since it came flying up over the top of his cab.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JR Tigerstar said:
I feel your pain.
Did something else fly off that car and hit your passenger side?:leftright ;)
I really don't know. I'm thinking it was a large rock about the size of a baseball. It happened so fast and I was in traffic that I really didn't get a good look. Had it come through the windshield I wouldn't be typing this. :beek:

What I think happened is his right front tire hit it and it went under his car and exited beneath his driver's door. It came up and was on it's way down when I hit it. From there I don't know where it went! My front bumper was even with his rear bumper so you can guess how quick it happened.

ShadowDragon: I'll talk to the glass shop and see about the sticker. Mine is about 2 years old, so I doubt they can get it off without destroying it. But who knows! :2huh:

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
You'd be surprised, they got my Ft. Bragg sticker off of my wife's car, and onto the new windshield, and it was about 4 years old, and faded. It saved me having to go get reissued.

On a better note: If you do have to get it replaced, they have a database, so that all you do is go pick up a new one, no need for all the paperwork again. I guess Ft. Sill got a bad batch of stickers, and within 6 months, the only thing left on my windshield was the DOD center sticker. Went down and told them what happened, and 30 seconds later, I was out the door with a new set of stickers.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WooHoo, I have a new windshield. :znanner:

And, more importantly.... the sticker transferred. :D

What the guy did was pull the windshield out and lay it in the sun with the inside facing up. That heated the glue on the back of the sticker something fierce (It's currently 91 deg and sunny)!

Once he was 100% done with the new glass, he took a razor blade and peeled the old sticker right off. Transferred it to the new glass and it looks like it's been there from day one.

All in all, I'm quite happy. The guy even showed up a half hour EARLIER than expected, an unbelievable feat here in AL.

The total bill was $324.50 and only cost me my $100 deductible. (I can’t believe they got the glass for $227.77!!!) I wonder how much Ford would want for that windshield. :beek:

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Only 91? How did you guys get so lucky? I think it might have been 91 around 10am here. lol

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't you have some minor damage along the rocker panel on the passenger side?
If you consider $1300 worth of damage "minor", then yes I did. :bawling:

I still haven't had it fixed because you really can't see it. I'll eventually get it fixed but it will require a new door (or a door skin and all the labor to re-skin the door). :beek:

I'm still kicking myself for that little stunt!! I should have just gotten my fat arse out of the car and moved the downed tree limb. I would have gotten a little wet, but I would have saved $1300. :mad:

Oh well.... I can use that "damage" for the reason it's so slow... It messes up the aerodynamics... at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :rofl:

Only 91? How did you guys get so lucky? I think it might have been 91 around 10am here. lol
It's now 93 (feels like 102), so we're just getting started. :zdevil:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts