1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Good read, I can use that article as food for thought when I train all my new hires at work. I'm a trainer for Comcast, so I love my digital landline. It's not POTS per se, but does have some of the same characteristics. Regardless of my employment, I've always believed in POTS.

·
Super Moderator
7,490 Posts
I can't say that I generally notice any "scratchy choppy tinny audio" from my cell phone on a regular basis. I know it tends to cut out highs and lows, and as such I wouldn't want to listen to music transmitted over a cell phone signal, but for a regular conversation in an area where I have service, I don't notice any difference, and I doubt most people would. As for storms taking out cell service, I think it is much more likely that a storm will take out a tree or pole that will pull down the physical wire and take out the phone service to your house or your block than it is that a storm will wipe out every cell tower in a 10 mile radius. With the exception of remote rural or unpopulated areas, I really don't see a point in having a land line anymore.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mikey if poles fall there is a backup, that is all I can say about that, for the most important parts of the country. Not residential per say. And granted the new "smartphones" do have better sound quality than the crap before them . I have steered clear of them for a long time but since we get free service and phones I gave it a shot . pretty cool (hand Computer) with a cell phone app.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Silly article..

AT&T has been saying that they are going to abandon the copper network within the next 10 years. Why is he advocating POTS? The techs I talk to say (at least in Detroit) the old network is so hacked up that it takes a long time to diagnose problems. I can see how decades of "fixes" could create a monster.

At our house, we left POTS behind in 1999 and went to Vonage. Then in 2009 we went to 100% cell phones, we ported our home number over, signed up Boost Mobile (Sprint) phone with unlimited minutes. We also use a Panasonic "Link-To-Cell", which uses Bluetooth to connect our cell phone to cordless handsets. That works awesome and I have never heard a difference between this setup and a POTS line.

I know ThunderChecken works in the field and I appreciate that.. but if the technology is not viable, it needs to be sunsetted.

On another note, I plan on abandoning broadband/DSL internet in 2015 (When my DSL agreement ends with AT&T) and going 4G for my internet. It makes a whole lot of sense, why lay cable down when you can use the cell phone towers to deliver internet?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I live in "rural" area and there are no POTS lines to my house, hub (DSL) is ~3miles away.

As for wireless internet. I have a WISP and when weather is poor so is my connection

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
I live in "rural" area and there are no POTS lines to my house, hub (DSL) is ~3miles away.
Absolutely NO telephone service save cellular or satellite where you live?

POTS is Plain Old Telephone Service - that's two wires with dial tone on them.

RwP

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Not that I'm aware of, there may be but I've yet to see the boxes or lines. I'm surrounded by fields (crops) on all sides. Nor is there any wire for in the house. Over the 4 miles to the highway there may be a dozen houses on our road.

I know POTS we have a friend that has worked for AT&T for ~30yrs, like how AT&T measures outages in milliseconds. Forgot his title but not talking about a line man though do know therm too. Coming form ATL, I'm very accustomed to the telecom industry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts