TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car is mostly stock, 96 4.6L. I don't have plans of going real wild with the engine to make more power. It'll likely never even make 300 hp. However, I would like for my car to sound more V8-like.

I was thinking of just replacing the mufflers with Magnaflows, and leaving the rest of the system as-is. I don't need more power necessarily, but I want the sound. I had a cat-back Magnaflow kit on my 01 F-150 and it sounded incredible. Mind you that was a 5.4L engine with more power.

So I was thinking of picking up two of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XQQ096/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=truckbooks-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B000XQQ096

Anyone got a sound clip of this or something really close?

I'm looking for something that's not much louder at idle, but when you get on it, you know it's a V8. It's the only V8 I own so I want it to sound better. Not crazy loud, just more rumbly.

I know the majority here will say "go dual 2.5" w/ x pipe" but I don't need that yet.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
It probably won't sound much different than stock, IMO the restrictions of a stock bird exhaust are less in the mufflers themselves and more in the multiple mid mounted mufflers and resonators, and small diameter single pipe running back to the rear of the car, etc. Go with a nice setup either from the third cat back, or replace it all with a nice true dual exhaust with an x pipe and your choice of mufflers.

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
What I would do:

I would do a custom cat-back. Leave the factory front cats on, do a dual 2.25" exhaust with either an H or X pipe and those mufflers you want at the factory location. You will have a more aggressive sounding car.

My car is not overly loud unless you really step on it. I might make a trip to Moose Jaw on the weekend of 16 - 18 September 2011. If I do, you can check my car out...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts