TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Ford Thunderbird '91 3.8 AT
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! I am facing the problem that I cannot find bushings for the rear lower arms (between the arm and the subframe) on the rockauto there are bushings from the arm to the knuckle, but I cannot find the ones I need.
Judging by the photo, they are of an unusual shape (I found the photo here)
I ask you not to throw stones at me, I tried to search the forum, but I could not find more information, maybe you can tell me where to look for these bushings, or at least a link to the post where it is worth looking for this information?)
can someone name their exact dimensions, I'll try to cut it out of polyurethane

Thanks, Alex

p.s after I published the post I found this information. a lot of useful things, but apparently I'll have to make custom made of polyurethane, right?)

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Super Moderator
11,777 Posts
Energy suspension sells poly kits, but otherwise its scp.

Reactions: mercenvy

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,604 Posts
I thought SCP sold off-the-shelf Energy Suspenion kits (e.g. those available on their website or Amazon), but with the usual 400% markup? :)

·
The Parts Guy
7,814 Posts
The bushings shown in the photo in the OP are Delrin units that replace the toe link compensators. Hence the strange appearance.

I picked up the last of the stock rubber LCA bushings off RA a week or so ago for a customer. Sorry.

Bill does resell ES poly bushings. The knuckle bushings are p/n 4.3163. $60 on Amazon or $186 through Bill. https://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspension-4-3163G-Performance-Polyurethane/dp/B00EZ7K5OA

It looks like Bill may have some rubber LCA bushings available at about $100 for the set of four.

I'm exploring the possibility of producing the LCA and knuckle bushings in Delrin, as others have in the past, provided I can find the time to do so. That said, don't bank on me having any ready for sale this year.

·
Super Moderator
5,740 Posts
I'm exploring the possibility of producing the LCA and knuckle bushings in Delrin, as others have in the past, provided I can find the time to do so. That said, don't bank on me having any ready for sale this year.
Suggestion.

Make the front bushing available long enough to get rid of the toe compensator, which is there to compensate for the softness of the rubber bushings.

RwP

·
The Parts Guy
7,814 Posts
Suggestion.

Make the front bushing available long enough to get rid of the toe compensator, which is there to compensate for the softness of the rubber bushings.

RwP
I haven't seen anyone not do that. The photo in the OP shows this.

·
Registered
1995 Mercury cougar xr7
38 Posts
Prothane makes a polyurethane kit for the 99-04 cobra arms that fits. I don't have the kit number off the top of my head. You get the uppers (which are useless on our cars) and the lowers that fit great if you leave the metal sleeves in the arms.

·
Super Moderator
5,740 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you very much for your prompt answers!

The problem is that I live in Russia (this is certainly not my main problem :D)
I think that there will be difficulties with delivery from usual sites (maybe they just won't bother with shipping), since this is not a Rockauto that can be sent around the globe.

If, as you say, they look so strange due to the fact that such a shape is needed to remove the compensation struts, well, it makes sense to try to grind the bushings yourself, like I saw in this picture:

(to make such a bushing out of polyurethane already seems possible and not much difficult)

Of course, after my two Bronco and a friend's crown victoria, the rear suspension of the Thunderbird seems like a nightmare.
The previous owner did not feel sorry for him, and now I have half of the bushings torn.
While driving, it feels like the lever "walks" I do not know how in English it is correct, in general, the lever, under the action of forces from the axle shaft, moves from side to side on the torn bushing. Apparently, the previous owner started from each traffic light with the gas pedal to the floor.
Other friends of mine who live in Russia and ride the t-birds do not have such problems yet, there is a rather tenacious suspension, with large bushings...

and finally, maybe who has the dimensions of these bushings? I tried to measure them under the car, but due to the fact that they are torn, it might not turn out very accurately.

Here are the approximate dimensions, in brackets I converted from millimeters to inches

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PT-6311BL is the prothane polyurethane kit that will work for the lca bushings. $75 from LMR
Can you please tell me, will only large bushings fit me from this set?
as i understand correct, this set is for both rear arms?)

if this is what I need, I can order this set to the address of the forwarder, who will already mail it to Russia

·
The Parts Guy
7,814 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,740 Posts
Interesting. I'd say that design is lacking, unless the intent is to allow one to also sell the customer a severely marked up toe compensator link as well. ;)
TBH, the Delrin set I have was for a Cobra; it was a company making them that closed them out for something like $15 or $5 (Ask Matt, he may remember.) So I'll still need a toe compensator. Or at least the bushing from one.

RwP

·
Registered
1995 Mercury cougar xr7
38 Posts
Can you please tell me, will only large bushings fit me from this set?
as i understand correct, this set is for both rear arms?)

if this is what I need, I can order this set to the address of the forwarder, who will already mail it to Russia
View attachment 45020
Yes, only the large bushings fit from this set. It is for both arms. The only catch is you will have to either get some large washers or fab up some spacers. The metal sleeve is longer than the bushings and needs a "spacer" so the arms don't slide on the bushings. This kit will also reuse the toe links.

·
Super Moderator
5,740 Posts
Yes, only the large bushings fit from this set. It is for both arms. The only catch is you will have to either get some large washers or fab up some spacers. The metal sleeve is longer than the bushings and needs a "spacer" so the arms don't slide on the bushings. This kit will also reuse the toe links.
Or, there's the lazy way.

Take the old toe compensator.

WHACK that spherical bushing out of it (if you want to get fancy, 4lb sledge and a socket just big enough to clear; whack that thing and drive it into the socket.)

Use that for your spacer.

Exact right size and it'll work fine.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
5,740 Posts
Yah, you WOULD like that, Matt .. .since you figured that out 😝 😁

RwP

• Haha
Reactions: XR7-4.6

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guys, thanks a lot!
but this set is suitable? Judging by the photo, for some reason there is no 2 metal sleeve

Reactions: DeMarc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello everyone! I am facing the problem that I cannot find bushings for the rear lower arms (between the arm and the subframe) on the rockauto there are bushings from the arm to the knuckle, but I cannot find the ones I need.
Judging by the photo, they are of an unusual shape (I found the photo here) View attachment 45015
I ask you not to throw stones at me, I tried to search the forum, but I could not find more information, maybe you can tell me where to look for these bushings, or at least a link to the post where it is worth looking for this information?)
can someone name their exact dimensions, I'll try to cut it out of polyurethane

Thanks, Alex

p.s after I published the post I found this information. a lot of useful things, but apparently I'll have to make custom made of polyurethane, right?)
Yes have to get at energy suspension.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts