TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody use 2000-2007 taurus 16' steel wheels as a spare? my doughnut is flat, and i am debating going with the bigger brakes, so my factory salad spinners will be rendered unusable.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Depends on how big of brakes. The 16 should fit PBR brakes. I have a 16" mark 8 spare - just because I got it for $10 and it fits PBRs fine. If you go to Cobra brakes then I can't say.

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
PBR brakes fit under 15s. Cobra brakes need 17s.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
If you leave the rears alone you have no problems, spares that don't match should always go on the rear anyway.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I was after a better spare, one so that I could run the Cobra brakes but not have to swap 2 wheels around with a flat.

I didn't want to spend 150 bucks for one on eBay, sight unseen, so I just signed up for notifications when the local you pull it place got in any LSes. Even at the conventional junk yards they wanted over 100 bucks for a temporary spare.

After 4 LSes came in with the 16 inch spare, and one without, finally got one in. Only 12 bucks.

But these are not donuts, not by a long shot.

I have also tried a Volvo XC90 SUV 17 inch spare, it has a very funny offset and won't clear Cobra brakes.

I guess I will need to do a hub swap, redrill, and get new wheels if I want Cobra brakes and no nonsense flat protection.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Well so much for that. FWIW the 5 x 114 five hundred spare I'm using is bigger than the factory donut as well but it JUST allows the cover to fit seamlessly, but you need trial and error the arrangement of things to get it just right
Matt, is the 500 spare steel or aluminium?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
So I just bought 18x9" wheels, and plan on doing the cobra brake swap this spring. I will have my 16" sport wheels leftover, and since I run 255/40/18's with my 3.73 gears and have a perfect speedometer reading, I want to keep a tire in the 26" to 26.1" range. So, on my 16" wheels, a 215/60/16 has the correct outside diameter, but will it fit in the spare tire well without sticking up?

They're the same width as the stock 15" tire, but nearly a full inch shorter in OD. Narrower than the stock 16" tire, and again shorter.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I was after a better spare, one so that I could run the Cobra brakes but not have to swap 2 wheels around with a flat.

I didn't want to spend 150 bucks for one on eBay, sight unseen, so I just signed up for notifications when the local you pull it place got in any LSes. Even at the conventional junk yards they wanted over 100 bucks for a temporary spare.

After 4 LSes came in with the 16 inch spare, and one without, finally got one in. Only 12 bucks.

But these are not donuts, not by a long shot.

I have also tried a Volvo XC90 SUV 17 inch spare, it has a very funny offset and won't clear Cobra brakes.

I guess I will need to do a hub swap, redrill, and get new wheels if I want Cobra brakes and no nonsense flat protection.
Nothing but a small donut tire/wheel will fit in the spare tire well. Unless you plan on running the spare for more than a temporary means there's no reason to match heights for it, otherwise just do fix a flat and a pump(lots of OEMs essentially equip that standard now)
I picked a MK VIII spare a while back. But Bangsters pics put in mind PlanC. Rather than fighting to find a donut that will fit under the flimsy hardboard trunk trunk panel the always bends and flexes under the slightest weight and allows small objects drop through the crack between the tail light panel and the spare tire well cover why not just use a taller spare along with the tire cover from a Crown Vic or something and use the space around the spare to collect the small stuff that always seems to sneak under the trunk panel? You lose the flat floor but gain some storage space that should keep the smaller stuff from rolling around the trunk and rattling. And with the spare tire cover it would still look finished.

Anyone know if the CV or Town Car Spare tire cover is a full cover? I've never seen one in the flesh. I'm guessing it's a 3/4 or 7/8 style cover that you can yank off to expose the tire hold down hardware in the Panthers. I do know if I could find a full size spare cover in the same material as the trunk carpet I'd probably go that route. The factory trunk panels just seem a bit flimsy. But the DD is also the family truckster around here. So I'm guilty of trunk abuse.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I picked a MK VIII spare a while back. But Bangsters pics put in mind PlanC. Rather than fighting to find a donut that will fit under the flimsy hardboard trunk trunk panel the always bends and flexes under the slightest weight and allows small objects drop through the crack between the tail light panel and the spare tire well cover why not just use a taller spare along with the tire cover from a Crown Vic or something and use the space around the spare to collect the small stuff that always seems to sneak under the trunk panel? You lose the flat floor but gain some storage space that should keep the smaller stuff from rolling around the trunk and rattling. And with the spare tire cover it would still look finished.

Anyone know if the CV or Town Car Spare tire cover is a full cover? I've never seen one in the flesh. I'm guessing it's a 3/4 or 7/8 style cover that you can yank off to expose the tire hold down hardware in the Panthers. I do know if I could find a full size spare cover in the same material as the trunk carpet I'd probably go that route. The factory trunk panels just seem a bit flimsy. But the DD is also the family truckster around here. So I'm guilty of trunk abuse.
I had a 2002 Crown Vic, and the spare tire cover is a 3/4 cover. It's set up so that you see the cover as you're looking in the trunk, in the upper right corner of the bay. The back is open, so you can slide it on.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I had a 2002 Crown Vic, and the spare tire cover is a 3/4 cover. It's set up so that you see the cover as you're looking in the trunk, in the upper right corner of the bay. The back is open, so you can slide it on.

That kinda what I figured. Drat! Ford used the gray rat rug in the trunks for a long time. There's probably something out there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts