TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:i have a 1997 tbird 4.6l. i was driving it home down the highway after i just got a new wheel bearing and hub put on it and i heard a loud noise. it sounded like my belt was flopping around under my hood at first but i knew what it was. my spark plug blew out. it was in the right side head if your sitting in the driver seat. second to closest one to you. so i believe thats the number 3 cylinder that the plug blew out of. it stripped the threads clean out of the head. like i said ..it has blown out one time before but its seated back down in there and i got it tight. i probably should have torqued it down...Soo..my question is. What should i do now??:confused:

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
if its happened more than once before I'd swap heads

·
Registered
275 Posts
^x2

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
well if you end up getting heads you may want to consider the pi swap.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i got something similar to a helicoil from the cornwell tool guy. he didnt have it on the truck so im going to get it from napa today

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well..problem solved for now. it was a re-threader kit for cylinder heads from napa. i got it rethreaded last night and lock tighted the steel bushing (that the spark plug goes in) to the head. let it sit for a bit and she started right up flawlessly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That fix worked for me on my last Mark VIII....

My plug also blew out, i think the last owner did not torque the plugs enough,
while i was was driving on the highway it blew out. i had to drive it a short
distance to my boys shop. we pulled it apart and tapped it with a KD-TOOLS
kit and then installed the little sleeve with locktite. after a beer or 2 put a new
spark plug in and it was good to go. i thought i was pulling the head, but it worked out great.

just my 2 cents

1 - 11 of 11 Posts