TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading in my manual (chiltons) about the install and they say you need a touqre wrench to install them. I don't have one and was wondering how do you install plugs so there in the right spot for optimal fireing with out a tourqe wrench. BTW- I decided to go with autolite copper plugs!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'll be honest, I usually do things by the book and I have never used a torque wrench to tighten my spark plugs. You can tell when they are tight enough without stripping the plugs out of the head :) The only thing I do differently on these aluminum head engines is put some anti-seize on the threads of the plugs. Not sure how long it lasts or if it does any good, but it makes me feel better about myself. As for installing them so they are in the optimal position for firing? You can buy indexing washers for that, but I'm guessing (and don't take this the wrong way) that you would be wasting your time with that. Just gap them properly and make sure they are tight and the wires are properly installed.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Just out of random curiosity... how in the bloody hell do you even GET to the spark plugs with a tool that will untighten them? I can't figure it out yet... Also, what do you mean by gapping the plugs properly... cause i intend to change my plugs eventually... gimmie some good steps hehe

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's not THAT bad. Have you ever looked at the SC engine? First car I ever owned where I had to change most of the plugs from underneath the car. The n/a plugs are pretty easy. The passenger side is a little tight. Probably the most difficult one to get to is the forward most plug on the passenger side. If you take off your intake tube you can at least see it. I usually try to snake my arm in from the front around the A/C compressor. All plugs can be changed with a combination of extensions and u-joints.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Fpr me the hardest plug to get to was the one blocked by the sterring colum on the drivers side.

The best tool to use is an adapter that goes on the end of a 1/4 socket wrench. I have one from craftsmen were the top of it is in the shape of a bolt to allow you to use a wrench or vise grips to turn it. Just remeber that a set vise grips is the wrong tool for every job. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts