TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be putting new spark plugs into my 96 XR7 and I would like to know what would be the best plug to use. Currently i have Motorcraft double platniums and they seem to be OK, but are they the best choice for my 4.6?

Engine is stock with 85,000 miles and i have a K&N air filter. I replaced the original plugs at 39,000 miles so the ones i am taking out have around 46,000 miles on 'em. I get about 22-24 MPG city driving...highway is a tad more.

-hooD :cool:

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
hooD said:
I am going to be putting new spark plugs into my 96 XR7 and I would like to know what would be the best plug to use. Currently i have Motorcraft double platniums and they seem to be OK, but are they the best choice for my 4.6?

Engine is stock with 85,000 miles and i have a K&N air filter. I replaced the original plugs at 39,000 miles so the ones i am taking out have around 46,000 miles on 'em. I get about 22-24 MPG city driving...highway is a tad more.

-hooD :cool:
Many people use the copper Motorcraft spark plugs with no problems. You can gap them to .060" and be fine (or the stock .054").

I would give you a part number, but there is something you must check first. Check the condition of the plugs that are coming out. How do they look?

Black/soot covered: too cold spark plug / running rich.
White/blistered/chalky: too hot / running lean.

If they look fine, then you can just get a normal copper plug (relatively cheap) and be done with it. If they're any of the above, you'll probably want to adjust your spark plug type (heat range) to address the issue.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
When I replaced my plugs w/ NGK's they were white and smelled burnt, haven't had the new ones out yet though. How can different spark plugs make me run richer? Which plugs to get?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The length of the electrode, tickness of the ceramic insulator etc. determine how much heat can be bled of through the spark plug. A "Cold" plug let's too much heat out of the chamber while a "Hot" plug doesn't allow enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts