TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 XR7 55,000 miles V6

Have the original spark plugs, in the engine. Ford says to change at 100,000 miles. Local mechanics say 60-70K miles.
I have noticed a 10% drop in MPG. Used to get 31 MPG, now 28 MPG on long trips. Anyone in the NYC area help me change the plugs? I don't have the tools necessary to do the job.
Car has been maintained properly, the car is all stock.

·
Registered
484 Posts
That 100K plug stuff is garbage. All my Fords have needed them around the 30K mark. Hope you find some help, its not that bad of a job, just looks harder than it is.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
How the car run at idle? Could be something else too, like the fuel filter. Those are really easy to replace and I do mine every year and 1/2 or so..
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Good call, Thomas on the fuel filter. Very easy job to do.

Laminarflow, I live nowhere near New York, but I would like to encourage you by saying that changing plugs really isn't too hard on our 3.8s. As for the tools, you should need only: 1 deep spark plug socket, a ratchet, and an extension. I think you will need either A. a wobble-bar extension or B. a flex-head ratchet and a regular straight extension. Oh, and some silicone di-electric grease and anti-seize compound. (They come together in a 2-pack called a "tune-up kit" at Advance.)

So, I don't know if you can borrow those tools, but if you can, it should take less than an hour. Things can always go wrong, but it's unlikely here.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
A swivel would probably come in handy but I've never used it. I've got plugs down to a science and can do them in about 30 minutes. plug socket, 3/8 wrench and short extension.
-Thomas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts