TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 LX and It is time for new plug wires. I need to do this NOW so should I pay the 135.00 and get the Motorcraft wires form my dealer or is there a good aftermarket wire at my local Auto Zone?

Also, is there anything to be afraid of in doing this myself. I figure just start on one bank, take off one wire, replace it and move on.

p.s. Let me qualify this by saying that I am not the most mechanically inclined person but I'm trying to learn. I do a little wrenching on my 79 280zx but my bird has been dealer maintained.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
If your a member you can get them cheaper from five star ford. Check parts store for Motorcraft...$135 is too much.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
You should be able to find Motorcraft wires for closer to $60 or $70, if you call around.

The wires are easy to replace, if you do one at a time. I did not feed mine back under the alternator, but ran them over the top of it instead. If you run yours over the top, make sure they cannot slip over to the front of the alternator, where all hell will break loose.

Also, on my 95 LX, the bottom edges of the fuel rail are sharp, and when you go to pull some of the boots up, instant finger cut, so wear gloves.

Use dielectric grease on the inside of the spark plug boot, where it fits over the plug.
Makes things easier.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Are you changing plugs too? Anyways, it pretty easy to change the wires, pulling off the alt. will help. Do one wire at a time. Pull of both ends, match the old wire with the same length replacement wire, change the spark plug if your doing that, then put a layer (thin) of dielectric (sp?) grease on both ends (on the metal connectors) and push the boot into the spark plug hole. When the boot is properly seated, you will hear an audible snap-like sound. When you put the end that goes to the coils on, just make sure that its fully seated, it might make a noise, i don't remember. While your doing this, make sure that the new wires dont get crossed. This is one reason for taking off the alt, it helps you insure that wires aren't crossing. Our DIS ignitions aren't big fans of crossed plug wires. You also should find something to help protect the wires under the alt from heat, the black things on the stock wires will work. As for wire choices, either get the 8.8mm msd's from summitracing.com, ($85) or 9mm frpp wires from five star ford. ($?) Make sure you get wire seperators, the stock ones will not work, unless they are modified.
All of this is assuming you have a 4.6 sohc mn12
On a side note, if you are installing plugs, make sure anti-seize compound is used on the threads.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks!!

I knew it couldn't be as easy as I thought!! I will use the Motorcraft wires, I found some for 68.00. The plugs were changed at the dealer when I had my a/c fixed. They wanted 250.00 to do the plugs and wires!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts