TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my car was studdering really bad this morning, so once as i got home i checked the wires. I pull some on the drivers side since they were easy to get to and they were smoking, and smelled burnt. Im going to get a cheapy set of wires and see if it runs any better, but is this more serious than changing the wires?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Most likely the wires on there have broken down and you were firing the engine instead of the plug.

I highly recommend going with motorcraft wires (or good aftermarket). The cheap ones often won't work on Fords.... don't ask me why, they just don't. :thumbsup:

I don't know how many times I've heard, "I just changed my plugs and wires and now the car runs like crap..." In almost every case, a set of Motorcraft wires fixed the problem.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put new wires on, runs a little better, but on the drivers rear spark plug tube is drenched with coolant :( Looks like im going to be replacing an intake :mad:

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Do you have the plastic crossover and is it the number one plug tube that is full of coolant? Thats exactly what had happened to mine. Had to replace the intake because the area around the thermostat had cracked where the bolts screw in.

Fortunately I had a PI intake with Aluminum crossover handy that was supposed to go on the LE. Just had to change it earlier than planned.

Oh yea, and that flooded drenched tube could be contributing to the plug not firing right.

·
Registered
620 Posts
A Little Bit Of Rain Or Moisture Would Cause The Problem Also
Mike

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have the plastic crossover and is it the number one plug tube that is full of coolant? Thats exactly what had happened to mine. Had to replace the intake because the area around the thermostat had cracked where the bolts screw in.

Fortunately I had a PI intake with Aluminum crossover handy that was supposed to go on the LE. Just had to change it earlier than planned.

Oh yea, and that flooded drenched tube could be contributing to the plug not firing right.
yeah its the one with the plastic crossover, but i guess it would be the #4 plug thats getting covered (the back one, on the drivers side) The gasket prolly failed causing it to do that. It seemed to happen after i spent all of my tax return money, lol

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well im going to replace the manifold with an aluminum crossover one because its going to be off anyways just to replace the gaskets. Im not going to do it myself since i dont have a garage, and its too damn cold. How much time would it take to do the job, according to the ford shop manual? Im going to have my dads mechanic do it, and I just wanna see if his time is equal or better than how long it says it will take.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
LOL Again, sounds familiar. I had a shop change my manifold to because it was too COLD and I didn't have a garage. But I can't tell you how long it took. He was alone during that time (had to fire him because he couldn't tell time, always late!) and had to work on my car when he had time between tire changes, oil changes etc. I was out of town all week so it didn't matter to me! He also took a little longer because he was following the instructions (from TCCoA) that I printed out on how to install the PI intake.

Speaking of which, if you're going to change it anyway, go with a PI. A little extra oomph never hurt anyone! :D

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wheres the information on how to switch it over?
or what did you print out to your mechanic?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Read these:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=49330 Parts List

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=47823 How to.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=38562 General stuff

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=75799 Another Parts List

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=66476 Parts Prices

Of course, since you have a 97, any part that says "96-97 whatever" you've already got and won't need.

And we had some confusion with the Alternator bracket. Oddly enough the one that we ended up using was the one that was on the LE, and it didn't have a PI Intake, but DID have an aluminum crossover NPI intake. So apparently, as far as the alternator bracket is concerned it doesn't need to be for a PI intake, but it DOES need to be for an aluminum intake manifold.

There are other threads here with great pics, particularly of the temp sensor if you have auto climate control. If you don't have auto climate control, the only temp sensor you have to worry about are the ones in the crossover. Be sure you have two places to mount them. I had to have my intake drilled to accept the second sensor. (not a big deal, any machine shop can do it if you haven't got the tap and die set.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks man!

was your coolant leak coming from inside the spark plug tube or leaking from the outside of it and just running down into it?

Mines leaking from inside the tube.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I've had two leaks. One in the LE and one in my current car. the one in the LE was the Heater hose connection at the back passenger side of the manifold. It leaked into the plug tube there, filling it up and causing a miss.

My current car had cracks around the bolts that hold the thermostat in. It just leaked a lot of anti-freeze. Some went into the plug tube.

Leaking from inside the tube? Any chance it could be a cracked head? (I hope not) I guess it could be a gasket. Good luck with it at any rate.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i think its just the intake gasket, i cant really tell where its leaking from, and I dont have the right extension to take out the plug to be sure. theres just so much crap around the tube, i cant really tell. The 2 middle tubes are showing very little moisture also.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took it for a drive around town a little bit ago and I got the CEL of death (blinking) then it turned solid. Im gonna get the codes read tomorrow

does auto zone still do that?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
a little more information..
it runs and idles fine when you first start it up, but once its at operating temp, it idles a little rough and hesitates on acceleration.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my mechanic is tearing it down tomorrow, he said hes done them before and theres been alot that hes done with similar problems to mine, so im hoping for the best, will keep updating so the next fool who has a problem like this will know what it is, lol.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Found out whats wrong with it...

Its cracked by the outlet to the Heater hose. The coolant is making its way to the spark plug tubes by that.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Sounds like what was wrong with the LE. But it was a very slow leak, and as long as I got some compressed air and blew out the plug well now and then it was fine. A good set of FRPP Plug wires didn't hurt either.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the cheapo wires at advance were **** right of the box also. I had to cut the half that ran under the alternator, so now in stuck with 4 cheapos and 4 OEM wires until i get a chance to replace them all with good motorcraft ones.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts