TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the best spark plug wires for our 4.6L's? I want to put the best stuff I can afford on the '02 Explorer engine when I put it in, and was thinking about FRPP 9mm wires. How are these? Are there any better out there for a reasonable price?

I would love to be able to use the COP ignition, but that is a project for WAY down the road, when I have my own garage to work in, and another car as my daily driver, since I would have to change the PCM and wiring harness, and who knows what other engineering...

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Cougar281 said:
What are the best spark plug wires for our 4.6L's? I want to put the best stuff I can afford on the '02 Explorer engine when I put it in, and was thinking about FRPP 9mm wires. How are these? Are there any better out there for a reasonable price?

I would love to be able to use the COP ignition, but that is a project for WAY down the road, when I have my own garage to work in, and another car as my daily driver, since I would have to change the PCM and wiring harness, and who knows what other engineering...
Just get a new set of OE Ford wires.I've got a set of MSD's right now..and at $82 a shot..they're no better..and it appears right now that they're worse than the OE wires are for quality.
JL

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The FRPP 9mm's are actually cheaper than the OE... I priced a set of wires at the local stealership, and they wanted something like $150 for them... I found FRPP 9mm's for like $80. I would think the FRPP's would be at least as good as the OE, since they are still Ford wires.

·
3,232 Posts
Cougar281 said:
The FRPP 9mm's are actually cheaper than the OE... I priced a set of wires at the local stealership, and they wanted something like $150 for them... I found FRPP 9mm's for like $80. I would think the FRPP's would be at least as good as the OE, since they are still Ford wires.
Local stealership...you said a mouthful...have you not seen the big banner on the top of the page?Call Dan-he'll get you the best prices on ford parts,and FRPP parts.I've heard of alot of issues with the FRPP wires too-I wouldn't put them on my car if somebody gave them to me.
JL

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been ordering most of my parts from Max at Five Star. How do they compare to Dan? I just ordered almost all of the front suspension parts, plus rotors, and I would guess that the same parts would total at least 50% more locally.....

·
3,232 Posts
Well,you've apparently not been around long enough to know that Dan started the internet business that Five Star is capitalizing on.Max is a good guy,I have no problems with him at all,and he's been really helpful in the past-but the owners of Five Star are greedy bastards,and if anybody deserves our business it's Dan.
Dan left Five Star over their unethical business practices-and he went through alot to get setup again with a dealership that was willing to do internet business.
Anybody that does business with Five Star Ford is stabbing Dan in the back.
Even if Dan is a bit higher than anybody else is(usually he isn't)-he'll stil get my business-it's a moral thing,and I like for people that I do business with to know who I am when I call.Dan has alos went way out of his way to make sure that myself and several others have had our parts when we needed them,and always makes time to look up something for me-even if I'm not buying it at the moment.
JL
Max..I know you'll probably read this..so I'll save you the hassle-don't PM me again whining about my position on Five Star-and tell your boss to bite me.

·
Mushroom Stamp Layer
844 Posts
I personally was against keeping "5 Star Ford" as a preferred vendor after Dan left there. Over 4 years ago was my first phone call to Dan and from that day on I knew he was going to be "my parts guy". Max is a good guy..don't get me wrong. But the deal that was setup with the TCCoA was with Dan...NOT 5 Star. When Dan left...their link should have been dropped till Dan was on his feet again. But then who would Bill get cheap Ford parts for the raffles?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sorry to go back to the initial topic, but don't buy FRPP wires. My dad got me a set for my 18th birthday, and less than 2 years later wire #3 WAS SHOT. It looks liked the whole boot has been burned around where you plug in the spark plug. Crappy wires, man. Luckily I still had my original wires (pays to keep your old parts) so now I've got 7 thick blue and 1 thin black plug wire.

God bless,
James

·
Registered
811 Posts
IMO go with the FRPP wires! Granted I've only had mine for 2 months, but do you really expect wires to last forever? I'm not saying the 2 years is forever, but hey sh!t happens. I couldn't pass up $71 shipped for my set either.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The problem with the FRPP is that they don't always seat properly on the plug, not longevity.

Preston

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
SmallTownBird said:
The problem with the FRPP is that they don't always seat properly on the plug, not longevity.

Preston
i had the same problem with my Motorsport wires...didnt seat properly on the plug or coil pack. I have MSDs now, they fit very well over the plugs and coil packs and just seem like better quality than my old Motorsports, i payed 90$ for my MSDs they are on par as far as price with the others i have found.

joseph

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
i have the frpp wires on my bird right now. i've had them on since early july and have had no problems with them at all. they fit on the plug and coil pack perfectly. my car was running kinda crappy cuz one of my stock wires had a crack in it and i didnt want to wait for them to have to be shipped to my house from 5 star at the time. i planned on just useing the stock replacements so i went to my local dealer and they told me $145 for the stock replacements. So i left and went to a local performance shop and they had the frpp wires in stock for $85-90. so i bought them.

Frank

·
Registered
212 Posts
So which wires do you guys reccomed I am debating on autolite or motorcraft? Is there any real difference between them? Ideally I would like the wires to have the numbers on them so I do not have to deal with matching lengths.

·
8,239 Posts
I run a motorcraft wire, and they work fine for any 4.6 application.

I would be pretty sure that autolite and motorcraft make the same wire, and sell it under different brandnames. The autolite plugs are the same as motorcraft.

The frpp 4.6 wires are overpriced and do not fit right. I had a set that lasted one year, then I had to replace the set.

Numbered wires really don't matter, just pull them out one at a time, and match up the length of the wire with the one out of the box.

JH

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks. I can get a set of autolites for around 72.00 looks like I am going down that route.

By the way, what does FRPP stand for? I saw it all over the place when I searched on plug wires.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
my frpp wires fit perfect

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the Ford OE wires from Dan for $68, I think. They seem of good quality, and are 8mm wires, but they are not numbered....

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
ill buy from who ever i can find the cheapest just look around for prices....i was priced oe wires from Randy Stinchcomb at 75 bucks....i can get wires from my dealership...plaza ford for 80 bucks also...or the FRPP wires for like 80ish also....im a valued customer there and they dont whore me on prices....maybe i have a gem of dealership on my hand but yeah....plus my add 15% b/c i work for a dealership

1 - 20 of 27 Posts