TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. I have a 1997 Ford T-Bird with a all stock 4.6l. Since December 2011 when I swapped the plugs I've put approx. 13,000 miles on it. There are no codes and other than the miss it idles and runs great once the speed is above about 40 MPH. It was doing the exact same thing prior to swapping the plugs.

I used the search function and its seems due to the way the ignition system is designed it wears plugs out faster than normal. I used the Motorcraft SP432 plugs the last time. Should I try another plug to see if they will last longer? The NGK tr55's-> http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_v-power-spark-plug-ngk_19650153-p?searchTerm=ngk seem popular and are cheaper or maybe the Motorcraft APP104 Double platinum' s?

Was wondering if some plugs seem to last longer than others?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Why not pull your plugs and see if anything is wrong with any of them. Look else where for your misfire, i had a misfire turned out to be thermostat housing leaking coolant into the cylinder. Idk if some last longer than others, I only have expirence with autolites because thats what i use. Good so far.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
U need to change the plug wires, plugs last awhile in these cars

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
^^ what robert said.

My car was doing the exact same thing this last week. It was my front driver side plug but I replaced all just because I'm sure it needed it. I am running the NGK plugs, I researched around a little and they seem to be what most guys run in our 4.6ers. Runs soooo much better now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi all. I have a 1997 Ford T-Bird with a all stock 4.6l. Since December 2011 when I swapped the plugs I've put approx. 13,000 miles on it. There are no codes and other than the miss it idles and runs great once the speed is above about 40 MPH. It was doing the exact same thing prior to swapping the plugs.

I used the search function and its seems due to the way the ignition system is designed it wears plugs out faster than normal. I used the Motorcraft SP432 plugs the last time. Should I try another plug to see if they will last longer? The NGK tr55's-> http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_v-power-spark-plug-ngk_19650153-p?searchTerm=ngk seem popular and are cheaper or maybe the Motorcraft APP104 Double platinum' s?

Was wondering if some plugs seem to last longer than others?

I'm sorry, but WTF are you attempting to say? I'm being serious, do you people bother to re-read your posts before submitting?

Kevin.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Low RPM miss is 99.99% of the time ignition which is plugs & wires on these cars just like everybody here has already told you. If you keep burning up plugs, READ your plugs to determine what is going on in your engine starting with this thread here: http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=138950

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Why not pull your plugs and see if anything is wrong with any of them. Look else where for your misfire, i had a misfire turned out to be thermostat housing leaking coolant into the cylinder. Idk if some last longer than others, I only have expirence with autolites because thats what i use. Good so far.
I pulled them and they look like there is some oil usage going on but its been doing that since I bought it 3 plus years ago. The misfire is exactly the same I had prior to swapping the plugs last December. Thanks.
U need to change the plug wires, plugs last awhile in these cars
I installed brand new plugs wires Oct 2010 *these*-->http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_professional-series-ignition-wire-set-autolite_5480029-p?searchTerm=wires I would think those plug wires would last longer than 2 years but I'm not completely ruling them out. Thanks.

^^ what robert said.

My car was doing the exact same thing this last week. It was my front driver side plug but I replaced all just because I'm sure it needed it. I am running the NGK plugs, I researched around a little and they seem to be what most guys run in our 4.6ers. Runs soooo much better now.
Yeah I will probably try the NGK TR55's this time..8 of those are less than $20 through Advance..couldn't hurt to try. I noticed NGK makes several different versions of the TR55's-->http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_finder/car_truck_suv/results.asp I think I will start at the V-Power 2.09 versions first. Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Low RPM miss is 99.99% of the time ignition which is plugs & wires on these cars just like everybody here has already told you. If you keep burning up plugs, READ your plugs to determine what is going on in your engine starting with this thread here: http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=138950
Thanks! Lots of good info in that thread. The plugs do show some oil usage.. I know for a fact this 4.6l burns some oil but it does not leak any..it was leaking oil from the oil filter housing gasket then I installed a new gasket and it cured that problem right up. Did Ford use low tension oil rings in the 4.6l?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Thanks! Lots of good info in that thread. The plugs do show some oil usage.. I know for a fact this 4.6l burns some oil but it does not leak any..it was leaking oil from the oil filter housing gasket then I installed a new gasket and it cured that problem right up. Did Ford use low tension oil rings in the 4.6l?
Yes, but they rarely wear out! Usually the valve guide seals wear on the heads before the rings wear out. Of course, ppl who add boost usually wind up with a little oil smoke because of the increased cylinder pressures with those low-tension rings.

I was going to add that vacuum leaks are very common and usually cause your plugs reading very lean (mine came out almost white for a very long time before I fixed ALL the vacuum leaks).

·
Registered
817 Posts
Those are good plug wires there Iceman. I very seldom ever see the Autolite wires come back compared to those crap Xact brand wires we sell!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
SP432 is a single platinum finewire nickle shell plug. It should not wear that bad in 13,000 miles, however a double-platinum is what you want with your car to take advantage of the longer wearing platinum.

If they are oil fowled then it doesn't really matter if they are the longer lasting (100,000) platinum or not.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update to this thread: After trying 2 new sets of spark pugs and a new Ford Motorcraft Throttle Position sensor and still having the same issues and no problem codes to help diagnose the problem I finally as a last try installed new Ford Motorcraft WR5935 spark plug wires from RockAuto. Its been 3 weeks and the problem has not come back and the car runs smooth at all RPM's.

I just couldn't believe that these wires---> http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_professional-series-ignition-wire-set-autolite_5480029-p?searchTerm=wires that I had installed less than 2 years ago had already went bad.

This car gets driven a lot so the wires did have about 35,000 miles on them but IMO they should have lasted way longer than that. I've had cars that were over 20 years old with 200,000 plus miles on them with the original factory wires that ran fine. I don't really like how the wires go under the alternator because they get hot under there. I know the 4.6l Mustangs had the wires over the alternator so I'm thinking about switching to that setup to keep the wires from being constantly blasted with heat. The alternator gets hot too but it should work fine being over brackets that extend out over the alternator. I like the way they look over the alternator too. I'm assuming its 1995-2000 GT Mustangs I need to find in the wrecking yards. Thanks.

Here's a pic of the T-Bird:

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Motorcraft wires FTW! :) I run the same ones on mine. I ran the last set for like 7-8 years and 3 different engines, lol. It's worth the few extra $$ to go with the motorcraft.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Autolite is also a cheaper alternative. I've been running the same plug wires for over a year now with no problems at all.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
my BWD's have lasted me around 4years and counting. i like them, but they weren't exactly cheep either.

yes, your only going to have issues if you buy the storebrand wires, or even worse... the cheapest things they have. a lot of the price difference is because they skip on testing and use cheaper rubbers and contacts. plus they take the wire gauge down to the min the motor needs to still turn over. then you have cheep wire core materials that will make your radio buzz.

plus a lot of new wires are made with a carbon compound for the core that reduces EMF/radio noise, but they break down quite quickly, and require replacement a lot.

anyway, point being

bargain basement will usually net you like 1 year, maybe 2. though i have seen them last a long time, kind of a crap-shoot (note: they usually don't fit right)

store brands i would expect around 2-4 years at the most.

some of the more expensive aftermarkets like BWD/MSD will last a long time and perform quite well. i like them. MSD are great wires.. just expect to pay around $140 for them.

if you can get the OEM stuff from ford, they will last just as long as your old set did, and will work the best, as they were designed for that particular car/engine.

edit: and yes, i too ran my wires up over top of the alternator. i didn't like the idea of them baking back their in the hot valley behind that hot alternator...

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,617 Posts
I second that. I had those when I got my car and only replaced them because two of them broke when I changed the plugs. My Motorcrafts that replaced them were frankly a big headache. Some were way too long, some too short no matter the routing I installed them(I even swapped to different coil and alternator brackets), there were at least two weak ones that eventually died with barely 6k on them and frankly for the price I could get good low mile COPs, which is exactly what I did. Other's experiences may differ but I'll never buy or endorse those wires ever again.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
ya know, your not the first person i have herd talking about the motorcrafts not fitting right >.>

you would think since they designed the originals they could have just looked up the lengths and made them right :D

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Custom Spark Plug Wires

Here's another option..

If you're trying to clean up your Engine Bay..
You could go with a set of these Black MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Spark Plug Wires..

MSD Black 8.5mm Super Conductor Spark Plug Wire Set

They are Universal..So you can cut them to fit exactly the way you want..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A pair of Spark Plug Wire Crimpers would come in handy too.. :tongue:

7-Way Crimper Tool For Spark Plug Wires

Rayo..

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yep, just measure twice, cut once. otherwise you may find yourself needing a bit more length but you already used your longest ones >.>

just lay everything out on the motor and make sure all of them can make it to the coils, then cut and crimp them.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Use your old wires/boots to get the measurement right. Lay the old one down, cut the new one to the exact same length. Less messing around that way...

Do them one by one to make things even easier :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts