TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get new plugs for my car and I am wondering if brand matters cause Ford's at 10 bucks a pop!

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
NGK's were good plugs in the cougar until coolant got down in one of the spark plug holes and cracked the insulator.TR-55 are stock. TR-6's are one heat range colder. Either NGK or motorcraft plugs are good.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Bosch +2's work pretty good too. Have not had much trouble with those.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NGK's were good plugs in the cougar until coolant got down in one of the spark plug holes and cracked the insulator.TR-55 are stock. TR-6's are one heat range colder. Either NGK or motorcraft plugs are good.
Actually that is why I need new plugs, intake went and spewed coolant down the Spark Plug holes! No fun!

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Bosch +2's work pretty good too. Have not had much trouble with those.
I had problems with mine after 15k, one side of the two electrodes wore faster than the other, than the core burned down into the ceramic trying to arc to the other side causing a severe misfire.

I run nothing but motorcraft plats not with great success

·
Super Moderator
10,580 Posts
I had problems with mine after 15k, one side of the two electrodes wore faster than the other, than the core burned down into the ceramic trying to arc to the other side causing a severe misfire.
The key here is that one fires positive, one negative... (Our plugs fire in pairs, for those that don't know)

I wasted a set of the +2s in my Black car when I first got it; bad O2 sensors make it worse, lol.

Negative firing wears the curved electrode, positive firing wears the tip in the center; If the tip is physically small, it will wear rapidly away, as the spark erodes the metal. The same volume is removed from both over time, but the center electrode is smaller, so...

The platinum is resistant to the plasma of the spark, so it makes it last longer, but once its gone, it's the same as a copper plug, pretty much.

Copper plugs lasted ~15k on mine before they needed dressing; I'm too lazy to dress plugs every 15k, so I buy Autolite platinums and swap them every 60k... which is twice so far on the red car. :)

EDIT: You want double platinum plugs, unless you want to wear out half of them in short order. You can put the right single platinums in the right places, and all will be fine, but you have two part numbers to deal with. And you have to get the right plugs in the right holes... Ford did this from the factory; it's cheaper.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help guys! Ya Ford Canada is very overpriced!
Motorcraft double platinum spark plugs AWSF 34 PP, $8.96 each plus taxes.

That's insane!

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
So, pretty much my Bosch +2's will only last about 15K miles? Well, that sux.:bangwall:

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
they are under a different part number i cant remember what it is exactly do a search here and you should find the new number. the reason is they went to a full thread plug instead of the half thread that they were.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Never Go w/ the PulseStar SparkPlugs..
EPIC Fail!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts