TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone... Few quick questions, all help is appreciated...

First off I am asking in reguards to a 97 3.8L v6 Thunderbird.

(1) What's a good plug to use? (I've been using autolite platinums)

(2) What is a good set of wires for the 3.8? (Something I can get at autozone or at most auto parts stores)

(3) My chiltons manual suggests a gap of .054-.055 ... can ya'll first tell me what the differences mean in the gaps? (what i mean is... the higher the number, the better the gas mileage and the lesser the performance??) secondly, what is the best suggestion for a gap, I dont mind losing some mileage for fun, if it'll make a difference....

Thanks in advance!
~Doug

·
CatBird Creator
165 Posts
well....

first, the autolite platinums are good, i use them too. Supposed to have a longer life than others.....also I've heard Bosch is good. Second, Ford Racing 9mm wires are good for the 3.8.....and lastly....too short of a gap, you dont get enough explosion, too much and the explosion is too big, run into problems.....not a performance gain.
Thats all from here.....

Kyle

·
Registered
607 Posts
I would recomend autolite copper plugs, they don't last as long but copper plugs are supose to have better proformance.

Jim

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I agree with getting copper plugs, motorcraft 32C's are good ones for your car and are 1 heat range cooler than stock. the reason for platnium plugs is the "100,000 mile before tune up" deal as they are the only plug that stands a chance of lasting 100,000 miles change the coppers 1 a year or every 15,000-20,000 and be happy with a plug that provides more spark energy and a slight performance boost (you probibly won't feel any gain)

·
Administrator
8,694 Posts
Stay away from the AutoZone wires, garbage! You could just stick with the factory Ford ones.

Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts