TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Yall,

Ive herd about, and seen this sparkley paint on cars. What is this stuff called? Does it cost a lot? it looks like glitter kinda.

Id like to see some pics of cars if there are any painted like this.

thanks for any info

madmax

·
Administrator
14,229 Posts
MadMax said:
Hey Yall,

Ive herd about, and seen this sparkley paint on cars. What is this stuff called? Does it cost a lot? it looks like glitter kinda.

Id like to see some pics of cars if there are any painted like this.

thanks for any info

madmax
Metal Flake?

It can be expensive if you get a lot of it. It can also be a bit hard to actually capture the full effect with a camera

http://www.streetsourcemag.com/profile.asp?profileid=3659

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey,

ive seen that car before on here, and its very nice looking. about how much does the metal flake cost?

can u send me a closeup pic of the paint?

thanks

madmax

·
Administrator
14,229 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
You might be thinking of "Micro-Sequence" and it's mixed into the paint...bigger than flakes in metallic paint, but much smaller than dune-buggy/bass boat flake. Very similar to the old school method of putting crushed glass into the paint. They are 3 dimensional chips (as opposed to a flat metal flake) and refract the light, making them sparkle in different colors...

Anywho, my body guy told me it's not produced anymore...some custom shops might have some still laying around though. It only takes a little bit added to the paint. I have a pic of a car with it, I'll need to find it tho...

·
Registered
161 Posts
nice and sparkly

I don't know how sparkley you want yur paint..The best pics I could think of that shows off John's "old" paint job would be these photos:
and
...he now has his car painted in an orange color...Hope this helps;)

·
Administrator
14,229 Posts
Yeah there we go. The orange is still sparkly too but not near as sparkly as the blue was.

·
TSTaCC President
885 Posts
sparkles

I know of this stuff, you can get at pepboys which is a cheap alternative to the actual paint job. This stuff, which i beleive is a product of the black magic wheel care family, works quite well. its a spray on sparkle effect for cars. My one friend has a black wolfsburg jetta and he sprayed the suff onto it, then onto my weird pink/red/purple/pearl paint thats on my car. It looked absolutely great on both cars. I was very skeptical that something that came out of a can would look good. I was very surprised though. It washes right off also in my local automatic car wash, but will stay on even doing a buck twenty down the highway. I would seriously suggest this product. My only warning though is to not spray it on the hot hood of the car, let it cool down. There is a little patch of sparkles that won't come off of my friend's jetta, its not noticable, but hes gotta scrub the crap outta it one of these days to get it out. The only other drawback is you definately gotta do it in a VERY open ventialted area. This stuff can knock ya out. I wouldn't be surprised if some kids are using this stuff for "manners which are not what the product was intended for."

·
Administrator
14,229 Posts
And as mentioned it will take you *forever* to get it off..

·
TSTaCC President
885 Posts
getting it off

Its not as bad as you think shadow. All you gotta do is run it through a automatic car wash. i never tried it by hand, but it won't hurt the car. its just like hairspray for a car. it will get on there good, but with a good washing, it will come right off. You may be covered in sparkles yourself, but at least it will be off the car. Also, the beauty of this stuff blown is that you can make it as subtle or bold as you want it. He only sprayed a light coat on my car, and it looked absolutely fabulous. It came right off too.

·
Administrator
14,229 Posts
Well the guy that did it here also did it on a dark blue car in 90 some degree heat to bake it on.. that might have been why it was so hard to get rid of it.

·
TSTaCC President
885 Posts
:D

LOL, some people arn't the sharpest crayon in the crayon box are they? Oh well, his mistake in the long run ended up helping others. Thats the beauty of this board, by people buying new products and testing them, it saves the mistakes we could potentially make and helps us all out in the long run. Just be careful with the stuff blown, i don't want you passing out because of this stuff or permanently having sparkles on that nice looking bird.

·
Registered
605 Posts
mines in the shop getting done right now!

I'll have the bird Friday and will post pics some time early next week. It's silver with a blue pearl over it with blue flakes. Hope it turns out nice and i'll put the pics up soon.

·
TSTaCC President
885 Posts
yummy

Sounds good. I can't wait to see how it turns out. E-mail me some pics when ya get it done.

·
Registered
647 Posts
:mad:

Ok...I picked up some of that car tint stuff and tried it last night...what a bunch of CRAP! Unless I'm doing something wrong, it looks like **** (well, sparkly **** anyway). Looks and feels like sandpaper on my otherwise clay bar'd, super smooth finish. I wonder if they bothered to even try their product on something other than an 87 Honda with faded paint...

Anyone know how to spray it on AND keep a high gloss finish? If that's how this stuff makes the finish look, I'll pass. It's only good for use at night if you park in the back of the parking lot (cars that I like to call 50 footers, look ok if you're more than 50 feet away). I've tried everything from soaking it on to lightly dusting the surface, no luck, looked like crap no matter what. The effect was cool, the finish was not.

I should have known better, there is no replacement for the real deal...this belongs on the shelf with the Tornado, anti-radar wax, electric superchargers and turbo blade exhaust tips IMO.

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
Heidi pic! Heidi pic!

I would be remissed if I did not point that out. :D
Oh, and John....my Lex luthor qoute does not apply to you ;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
What an interesting site...

hmmm...that site looks familiar...that's where I got the pictures from originally from Shadow;) I have some pics saved on disk though..I just love that car...I wish it was mine...I have a question if anyone knows though...How did he get the smooth effect for the trunk...i was thinkin of doinfg that, but not sure yet..thanks for any help.

Wes
'93lx 3.8 Bird

·
Administrator
14,229 Posts
Re: What an interesting site...

Idahoan T-Bird said:
hmmm...that site looks familiar...that's where I got the pictures from originally from Shadow;) I have some pics saved on disk though..I just love that car...I wish it was mine...I have a question if anyone knows though...How did he get the smooth effect for the trunk...i was thinkin of doinfg that, but not sure yet..thanks for any help.

Wes
'93lx 3.8 Bird
Had a bodyshop fill it in. It's all metal too

1 - 20 of 28 Posts