TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a 160W Kicker Amp that he doesn't need. I have the Premium Stereo option on a 96 LX, so I was wondering if its even worth it to switch amps. I couldn't fit my lanky 6'5" ass all the way into the back of the trunk to check :)

G

·
Depends

I'm assuming of course 40X4 channels.
It all depends on the size of the capacitors. Ford of course used small ones to compensate the cost. The maximum wattage amount for a ford factory might be the same or even more as the one in the kicker but I'm willing to bet that the kicker can maintain that 40 watts a lot longer than the factory one.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
but

it is doubtful that the gains from the Kicker amp will be worth the pain of rewiring in this case. The stock premium amp is located under the radio, in the dash in a 96, and you would have to run wiring to the trunk for the aftermarket amp. considering you still use the factory radio, it would be difficult to hook with using the high level amp inputs, or getting an rca converter to switch to rca cables.
Plus still using the factory speakers (again assuming since you didn't state) the gains in power would only serve to help blow the speakers.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thats what I thought. No sense in amping the still stock 6x9's..

Joel, I thought the amp was in the trunk? I have a rack with a metal box which I cant get to w/out tearing the trunk apart, so I assumed it was the amp.

·
Registered
604 Posts
That metal box is the ABS controller.

·
Registered
164 Posts
According to the sales brochure, the system is 80Watts RMS total ( 20x4 ).

Here is where the later model's amp is located:

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
well, then

my 96 was prem. sound, did not have ABS, did not have traction control, had the tray in the trunk with a box on the far right of it, what was that box then? I think it was the amp, but I never took my dash apart to see if an amp was under the info center

Earl

·
Registered
127 Posts
In my 1996 Cougar, which does not have ABS, the amp is mounted on the amp rack in the trunck. It is on the passenger side and is a metal box with heat sinks on the side. I am in the process of removing amp rack but not quite sure how. Im just about ready to just yank it down.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Are you 100A% certain it is your amp rack, try this, unplug it, see if your speakers still work

·
Registered
855 Posts
it's not for ABS , it's for EVO which stands for something like electronic variable somethin lol. it's basically a controller that works w/ your power steering to determine whether you need more or less power steeering. at slower speeds you get full power so that you can make those tight turns.....but at higher speeds, the power steering is decreased so if you let go of the steering wheel you don't fly into the other lane :p...

·
Registered
60 Posts
The Variable Assist Controller

is a black plastic box and it mounts in the left side of the rack. Is it possible that 97 was the only year that the amp was stowed in the console?

Warrior, I too had an awful time trying to get my rack out. Try looking on the far left hand, outside. There, you should see a round knob of sorts. if you pull it out, it'll release that side of the rack so that it'll hinge down on the opposite end. The right side is bolted to the rear deck and has 2 nuts on the topside. The easiest way to get to them, believe it or not, is to pull out the back seat, and remove the rear deck cover.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts