TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have this problem? 1993 Mercury Cougar, 3.8L spedometer sticks at 30MPH. Its out, and sitting on the bench, and it still reads 30MPH. It will move freely but when released returns to the 30PMH mark. only have 51,000 miles on the car. Any thoughts on this subject would be of great help and appreciated.

Thanks.

Joe.

·
Registered
397 Posts
hey look at the bright side. If you get pulled over you can say you speedometer just broke!

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Was the needle ever off? If so, it may be reinstalled incorrectly, or the counterweight for the needle may be missing...

In my experience, I had a speedometer that had a sticking needle after I reinstalled the needle. I reinstalled the needle with it set at "zero," and it's worked correctly ever since.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I've had needles stick like that. Usually its caused by the needle being reinstalled in the wrong place (as has already been said) or installed to close to the gauge face, causing interference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To my knowledge its never been taken apart, though I just bought the car and the previous owner didnt say anything about working on the dash (I know him pretty well). Does the needle pull straight off? Is there an index I should look for or can I take it off and reinstall it right back on zero?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts