TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This summer I plan on swapping my trans with an 01 crown vic trans (if there is a better option let me know!) and going to 3.73 gears. My first question may render this thread pointless.

Does the 01 CV have a 7 or 8 spline output shaft?

If it's a 7, then I think I need the purple speedo gear and then I'm done.

BUT...

If it has an 8 I know with 3.73's the only gear I could use is a 23 tooth and the durability on that is an issue... I won't even try that, so speed-cal is the only option.

The only speed-cal I see online at dallasmustang (the only source I've found for them) is the 9910ER. After reading a bit I noticed the ER is an extended range when I'd really only need the standard range. The ER also states that it is for 5 speeds, but many mustang forums say to use it to swap newer trannys in, or when drastically changing gear ratios (3.08 to 3.73/4.10).

Will the ER version still work with my car in the above stated application?

Thanks for any and all help. This community is really the only one I trust to get the correct info.

http://www.dallasmustang.com/mustang-parts/product/SPEED-CAL-1994-2004-5-SPEED-EXTENDED-RANGE/7626

·
Registered
1,088 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Starting in 99 it could have either. If you stick to a civilian one (with the same length output shaft and extension housing as the MN12) it should have 8, unless it is from an HPP car (with 3.27 gears) it might have 7.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks swanny I didn't see that one.
Bangster if it can go either way then I'm going to expect the worst and assume I need the speed cal. Thanks for the info though!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I did a write up on the speedcal, take a look in Electronics under Speedcal for manual trans' and just plug in your automatic's info.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
i have an 01 GT tranny, i use the green speedo gear in the transmission with a dallas mustang speedcal with 4.30 gears out back. No problems at all with it working in my 95LX or 97LX.

Also, I had issues getting the settings right, i called dallas mustangs, they were very friendly and helped me get everything straightened out.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have an 01 GT tranny, i use the green speedo gear in the transmission with a dallas mustang speedcal with 4.30 gears out back. No problems at all with it working in my 95LX or 97LX.

Also, I had issues getting the settings right, i called dallas mustangs, they were very friendly and helped me get everything straightened out.
I have no problem using a speed cal, just want to be sure the extended range one would work.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have no problem using a speed cal, just want to be sure the extended range one would work.
they do. Thats exactly what i have. you just cant go off their chart, it will get you somewhere, but you need to call them and they will help you dial the speedcal in right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts