TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to put a switch on my speed sensor and turn the sensor off at 118 could I go faster than the limiter?

·
Registered
477 Posts
No your trans would probably have a meltdown. The VSS works to determine various trans funstions so if you shut it off the eec will go into limp mode (possibly i am not 100% sure) or it could do something really wacky and cause you to crash. Its just a really bad idea, dont do it.

Will

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Going over 118 on a stock driveshaft, stock trans, non-speed rated tires, etc...

Not trying to kill your plan, but there are reasons that Ford built the speed limiter into these cars. Yes, w/ the proper mods it can be done safely (for track use), but if you go out on a road somewhere and try this not only could you kill yourself if the trans. fails or some other component in the drivetrain fails, you could kill others as well.

Jay

·
Registered
825 Posts
mechman1984 said:
No your trans would probably have a meltdown. The VSS works to determine various trans funstions so if you shut it off the eec will go into limp mode (possibly i am not 100% sure) or it could do something really wacky and cause you to crash. Its just a really bad idea, dont do it.

Will
FordMan77 said:
Going over 118 on a stock driveshaft, stock trans, non-speed rated tires, etc...

Not trying to kill your plan, but there are reasons that Ford built the speed limiter into these cars. Yes, w/ the proper mods it can be done safely (for track use), but if you go out on a road somewhere and try this not only could you kill yourself if the trans. fails or some other component in the drivetrain fails, you could kill others as well.

Jay
i've done it well not a switch i just unpluged it. but I did it with my 5spd and 3.73 so 100 on the speedo was like 60mph but there are major things to think about first i have a 5 spd and a one piece drive shaft you do not. don't do it listen to the advise it's free. and i bet you electric trans would spaz out pretty good not worth it to me

·
Super Moderator
7,618 Posts
You can do that on the older birds that didn't have the computer controlled trans. On the newer ones, you have to get a tune to shut off the speed limiter.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
10,903 Posts
It doesn't shut down in third...

The od button is your friend...:eek:

Apparently, with a 3.08 rear end, 5000rpm is about 120mph...in third.

Not that I would reccomend that for anyone.

The driveshaft and tires are a critical factor in that top speed thing; driving over 80 for long periods of time causes the stock driveshaft to delaminate... it is two pieces glued together with rubber, like an engine mount. Mine rattled like a moracca when I replaced it. The aluminum one I bought from a GP kicks A$$ tho...

The speed limiter is a great thing; It reminds you that if anyone who counts sees you, you are going to lose your license...

Of course, the Crown Vics shut down too...but where, I have no idea. The dealer told me 95, but I know he's full of S*it...

There was a major hassle with police cars, and their driveshafts, a few years ago; not sure how that turned out.

Not to encourage irresponsible behavior, but do our drivetrain gurus know the deal on that? I'll take STFU as an answer...:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts