TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is a good place where I can purchase a 23 tooth speedo gear?

·
Super Moderator
7,664 Posts
ebay

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
The "good one" is allegedly the black one vs. the white one for autos. From my research, I believe the white ones are actually jeep parts and are allegedly slightly oversized for a 4R70w application (MOPAR J3167393). Some folks fix this with sandpaper but I didn't find any complaints for the black ones in an automatic transmission.

The best deal I found for the black ones was here. $9.99 + ship.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-17271J-K/83-95-Mustang-23-Tooth-Speedo-Gear-Kit-Auto

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I have a Black one .. I think it was actually a Steeda part purchased through the Ford dealership years back. Was this for 3.73's on a 7 tooth output shaft ?

·
Registered
817 Posts
I bought mine from the local ford dealer. 6 bucks.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The "good one" is allegedly the black one vs. the white one for autos. From my research, I believe the white ones are actually jeep parts and are allegedly slightly oversized for a 4R70w application (MOPAR J3167393). Some folks fix this with sandpaper but I didn't find any complaints for the black ones in an automatic transmission.

The best deal I found for the black ones was here. $9.99 + ship.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-17271J-K/83-95-Mustang-23-Tooth-Speedo-Gear-Kit-Auto
thanks, just picked on up....

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
23 tooth speedometer gears are a great way to destroy a perfectly good transmission. Weak teeth not designed to work in this unit anyway. They shear off getting caught in the bore of the case that the output shaft seals ride on. Causing cross leaks that start by completely frying the direct clutch until it welds together. Then when you pull the mass of crap apart the case is destroyed and you have to pay twice as much for the rebuild because the entire transmission is junk!
The only correct way to calibrate the speedometer is to use a speed calibration device.
Alan

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
23 tooth speedometer gears are a great way to destroy a perfectly good transmission. Weak teeth not designed to work in this unit anyway. They shear off getting caught in the bore of the case that the output shaft seals ride on. Causing cross leaks that start by completely frying the direct clutch until it welds together. Then when you pull the mass of crap apart the case is destroyed and you have to pay twice as much for the rebuild because the entire transmission is junk!
The only correct way to calibrate the speedometer is to use a speed calibration device.
Alan
Wow, didn't know that. But this is a temp fix to see if my speedo corrected closer to real mph so the transmission stops unlocking the convertor in 3rd gear.

I do see some correction, I will upgrade to a speed cal. The speedo will never be correct because I have 4.30 gears.

Do you got handy you want to sell?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Alan
Alan where can we purchase a speed calibration unit from?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Wow, didn't know that. But this is a temp fix to see if my speedo corrected closer to real mph so the transmission stops unlocking the convertor in 3rd gear.

I do see some correction, I will upgrade to a speed cal. The speedo will never be correct because I have 4.30 gears.

Do you got handy you want to sell?
Sorry just saw this, no I don't think I have any I usually pitch them.
Alan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts