TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have the 95 8.8 with 3.08's either going to 3.27 or 3.55. the speedo gear for 3.27 is the 19 tooth one i correct? which one do i need for the 3.55's ?

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Dang! you think someone would have known this one.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
There is a calulator on SCCOA that will tell you what gear you need for a given application.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I come up with 19.5 gear teeth with 225/55/16 tires and a 3.55 rear ratio. I guess I'll use the 21 toother.
'Cause my speedometer is off 10 mph now, the purple 21 tooth one ought to get me to a somewhat more accurate speed indication.
Thanks for the Sccoa tip Traveler-- here's the link -->
http://www.sccoa.com/faq/speedgr.html

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Thank's dirtyd0g, checking with ford here--(calling)---- they have a 20 tooth gear but it's black. What's the diff. in colors? Said they'll take back the 21 tooth purple one if the black one will fit.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I have used the black ones as well I think they are for the ranger transmissions but they work fine. I could be backwards, color doesn't matter make sure it's 20 tooth.
Alan

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Thanks for your time- will get the 20 tooth.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I'm glad you said that. I have one that I ordered, but it was black. I was worried cause I thought it was supposed to be orange as well.

Thanks again for clearing that up.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Just installed the 'black' 20 tooth gear and it works- even though the shaft end of the gear is substantially shorter than the original green OEM gear.
Will check accuracy with Bee-Line not this weekend but next.
Thank you Traveler and dirtyd0g for your help.
P.S.
the tech. article (found under Gears-Speedo Gear Change) on the procedure is accurate. Although it would have been more informative if one of the photos had shown the assy. with the gear attached.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
c1dz-17271-a is the part number on my receipt.(Black 20 tooth)
But I believe the gear is for manual trans cars, as dirtyd0g mentioned, due to the shorter shaft.
However, it works quite well in my '95 t-bird, (3.55 with 225/55/16 tires) and appears to be accurate according to my stop watch and mile markers. Will go to Bee line soon for a real accuracy test.
Here's a web site that lists a lot of gears -->
http://www.hardcore50.com/technical_articles/Rears_and_Gears.htm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts