TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Mercury Cougar Xr-7 4.6
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I got a 97 Cougar with the 4.6l. I've been on a few post searching trying to see if anyone has had the same issue but nothing identical. So my issue is that my speedo stopped working today. Drove it home last night and was fine. Left today and speedo stays at zero. Trip and odometer also not working. Im also getting a o/d off light flashing. Now all my shifts are normal. All my downshifts are normal. Nothing feels any different. Just the lack of trip, odometer and speedo. Would that point more twords cluster or vss or something else?

·
Super Moderator
97 Thunderbird 4.6, 98 Mark VIII LSC
11,402 Posts
I would have said something with the VSS signal at the cluster but your comment about the OD light blinking implies a code for the VSS. If you can get the code read to confirm. Check the VSS and wiring to it. The PCM can extrapolate the shift points without VSS signal using RPM because of additional fallback algorithms and tables.

·
Registered
97 Mercury Cougar Xr-7 4.6
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking the vss too. Now the question I have is which one is it that would cause that. I seen two different ones on rock auto to order. Looks like one goes in the rear and one in the transmission. Also question this because I hooked up my obd 2 scanner and it's showing a vss signal and speed. But I do have a code thrown for vehicle speed sensor A. P0500.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.