TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, last night i noticed that my speedometer was acting weird. It would stay at 0 until i reached 25 mph then it would jump right up to 25 mph and continue working correctly from there. It only did this from a complete stop because if i was slowing down and had gone under 25 and then accelerated back up to 25 it would work correctly. Just wondering if anyone knew what was wrong and how to fix this. thanks.

Frank

·
Registered
45 Posts
speedo jumping

time for a new speedo cable

good luck

Don V:cool:

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Sorry...

ford didn't use a cable! the tranny output shaft is read by a sensor that computes you speed using stock tires and rear gears.

·
Registered
286 Posts
hehe, mine does this too. Except sometimes it doesn't start reading till around the 30's. If you find out what is wrong.. please tell me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
speedo troubles

then logic would dictate that the sensors must be failing or damaged....

good luck

Don V

·
Registered
855 Posts
mine is also doing this but it appears that if i press or wiggle the TRIP METER RESET button it'll come back on. i think that the speedo might be stuck or getting worn down because my odometer still records the mileage when the needle is "stuck". If your mileage still moves/is recorded when the speedo isn't moving then the sensor is ok because if you pull the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) which is on the side of the tranny and controls the speedo then your odometer and speedometer will both die. I have a spare instrument cluster from a 95 that i'mgonna look at to see exactly how it works before i take out mine from the car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
sppedo blues

well, learn something new everday. I assumed (OMG< dangerous!) that my '89's digital dash has sensors, but not the analog type speedo on my '90 SC.

seems lik eit would have been such a simpler, more robust design to have a mechanical cable....unless they were going for drive-by-wire as much as possible....

the biggest benefit for me in these tehc forums is no where else on earth can you learn as much about your car as in here in such short time.....

Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts