TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again, gang.

Well, to summarize, I'm getting a shudder out of the convertor in the '97, and to that end, since I already own a Cobra T-45, I like rowing a stick better than fighting an automatic, and I'm just an overall jerk anyway, the 'plan' in mind would be to toss in the T45, along with the 3.73 pumpkin out of the '92.

The '97 has the factory 3.27 gearset right now...

I've seen several mentions in here of 'speedcal', 'Dallas Mustang', 'dip switches', 'unanswered emails', and 'women's underwear' in connection to doing a T45 swap on these cars, however, there are other mentions of the ability to do this swap without having to resort to unnecessary electrical silliness. I understand I will need a tune, and I'd like some advice on that later, but the speedo issue, and how it applies to what the ECM does does worry me a bit.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Hello again, gang.

Well, to summarize, I'm getting a shudder out of the convertor in the '97, and to that end, since I already own a Cobra T-45, I like rowing a stick better than fighting an automatic, and I'm just an overall jerk anyway, the 'plan' in mind would be to toss in the T45, along with the 3.73 pumpkin out of the '92.

The '97 has the factory 3.27 gearset right now...

I've seen several mentions in here of 'speedcal', 'Dallas Mustang', 'dip switches', 'unanswered emails', and 'women's underwear' in connection to doing a T45 swap on these cars, however, there are other mentions of the ability to do this swap without having to resort to unnecessary electrical silliness. I understand I will need a tune, and I'd like some advice on that later, but the speedo issue, and how it applies to what the ECM does does worry me a bit.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
I have a full write up on speedcal usage and calibration in the electronics section titled in all caps...shouldn't be hard to find if you let your fingers do some walking.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have a full write up on speedcal usage and calibration in the electronics section titled in all caps...shouldn't be hard to find if you let your fingers do some walking.
That's funny, I've got the original, unedited post you placed in here earlier:

"Use search...I heard you reamed some new guy out about that earlier this week. I have a full write up on speedcal usage and calibration in the electronics section titled in all caps...shouldn't be hard to find if you let your fingers do some walking. "

Wow. Good thing you're keeping such good tabs on me.

In addition, I don't know if you or someone else intentionally placed it in the "Electronics" you're speaking about, but I wouldn't think to look up 'Speedcal' in the "Audio / Electronics" section of the message board, especially when it pertains to transmission/drivetrain/gear swaps/etc, and not 'Audio'.

Just sayin'.

ON EDIT: And since we're both playing the 'Edit' game today, I actually recall reading your 'full write-up' after doing a 'search'. I put it in the 'discard' file after discovering that there wasn't any actual write-up, nor was there any useful information in it that would actually apply to what I was thinking of doing to my car, short of some useful links. I really like that you went in a completely-different direction in sourcing a 2005-2010 TR3650 to swap in, but before you start trashing me about my 'reaming a new guy out earlier this week', you might want to actually READ what I am trying to ask.

And I also noticed that you pulled an interesting "projection", where you accuse me of doing exactly what you just did yourself, reaming some guy out for not doing the 'search' function.

Thank you for chiming in, however.

·
Super Moderator
7,551 Posts
With the Cobra T45, you don't need a speedcal. That trans uses the same type of speed sensor as the automatic, so all you need to do is swap the gear on the end to the right one for what gears you are running, which in the case of a Cobra T45 and 3.73s would be the black 20 tooth gear.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Speaking of which, the sticky needs to be updated with new links.
With the Cobra T45, you don't need a speedcal. That trans uses the same type of speed sensor as the automatic, so all you need to do is swap the gear on the end to the right one for what gears you are running, which in the case of a Cobra T45 and 3.73s would be the black 20 tooth gear.
Thank you both, gentlemen.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
That's funny, I've got the original, unedited post you placed in here earlier:

"Use search...I heard you reamed some new guy out about that earlier this week. I have a full write up on speedcal usage and calibration in the electronics section titled in all caps...shouldn't be hard to find if you let your fingers do some walking. "

Wow. Good thing you're keeping such good tabs on me.

In addition, I don't know if you or someone else intentionally placed it in the "Electronics" you're speaking about, but I wouldn't think to look up 'Speedcal' in the "Audio / Electronics" section of the message board, especially when it pertains to transmission/drivetrain/gear swaps/etc, and not 'Audio'.

Just sayin'.

ON EDIT: And since we're both playing the 'Edit' game today, I actually recall reading your 'full write-up' after doing a 'search'. I put it in the 'discard' file after discovering that there wasn't any actual write-up, nor was there any useful information in it that would actually apply to what I was thinking of doing to my car, short of some useful links. I really like that you went in a completely-different direction in sourcing a 2005-2010 TR3650 to swap in, but before you start trashing me about my 'reaming a new guy out earlier this week', you might want to actually READ what I am trying to ask.

And I also noticed that you pulled an interesting "projection", where you accuse me of doing exactly what you just did yourself, reaming some guy out for not doing the 'search' function.

Thank you for chiming in, however.
The earlier unedited one was because I thought you were Grog6 who blew up on a new member the other day for not using the search feature when he asked a reasonable question, so please disregard it. Then I reread your name and was like realized it wasn't you. Furthermore I did not Sticky it in that location, one of the mods did at their own discretion. I assume the reason it's in the Electronics section is because the ER Speedcal is an "Electronic" device...it deals with electrical pulses,dip switch settings, resistance, and voltage regulation. The title states what the article pertains to "CALIBRATION" of the speedcal once installed, not initial installation or anything of the sort for various applications.

The difference between what I did and what Grog6 did, is that I put it nicely and gave you a general idea of where to find the info you may be looking for. Also you've been here long enough to know how things work here, and the other guy was a newbie. Apples to oranges.

The point here is that if you knew you weren't the one who the unedited version was intended for, then you shouldn't even bring it into this. I edited it for a reason and was trying to provide some help with your situation.

@GM: I just checked all the links in my article and they all work perfectly...not sure what you're talking about? I updated those links forever ago.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
All the links work for me. Not cached, it's the first time I've opened those links on this computer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts