TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '97 Sport originally came with the P225/60R16 size. The cut sheet says they measure at 26.66" tall.

My present plus-sized tires are P235/55R17 that are 27.1" tall.

Anyone ever try a taller tire on all fours? I'm thinking P245/45R20's. They spec out at 28.7" tall. They look great on the Challengers.

I'm probably going to answer my own question here. Thinking that the front spindle, namely the upper ball joint attachment point will be the area of concern.

I know that many here have rolled their fender wheel lips and used spacers for various wheel fitments. Anybody ever have to address the upper ball joint spindle area for fitment?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I figured I'd need to sort out the speedo issue. This idea started from my need to get new tires soon. Probably the last summer for these four. And honestly I don't want to go lower on the suspension. If anything I'd like to fill up the wheelwells while at roughly the same height.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the tire is too tall the inside portion of the tread could hit the ball joint end. That's where the top of the spindle arches over the tire. So it isn't the rim itself, as you said, there should be plenty of room there.

I guess it isn't a known issue because most people tend to stay in the 27" tall or less tire range.

I'll have to measure the clearance on my existing tires and see where I'm at. I know it looked close at 27".

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And Matt, point well taken. Those Challenger 20's might look horrible on this chassis. I haven't seen anything like these on our cars. Have to investigate...

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I thought I would have to hack off the bottom of the UBJ but it just cleared, but the tires were not close to that height, but wider. Depending on the back spacing, you can see if you have an inch of space between the current tires and the UBJ where it goes through the spindle.

We do have pretty huge wheel wells, the stock tire diameter doesn't fill it out real well, pretty good gap front and back. But 2 inches taller than factory size might be trouble.

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
Using a taller than stock tire has a few hidden benefits; on 8 tooth trannys the speedo gear moves into the Lower range than the usual region.

Bigger tire= smaller gear.

I'm running a purple gear with my setup; a 3.55 is as big as I can go with these tires.
225/55-16 and 225/60-15 are almost the same size...

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I had 255/45R18 then 255/40R19 on my 95 SC, both around 27.1" tall. Looked great, helped to fill up the huge wheel opening, and clearance was fine. A few years back I sold a local SC club member a set of 235/55R17 Pirellis (OEM late model Mustang tires), certainly no clearance issues with those, and they looked good.

Anything over 27.5"-28.0" diameter is likely going to rub somewhere I'm thinking.

cheers
Ed

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 20's are gonna be tight. The factory P215/70R15 has a tire diameter of 26.9 or 27" depending on whose spec sheet you read. So going up close to 29" might be tough.

To account for my existing tread wear on the P235/55R17, I'll need 1-inch clearance between my tire and any point of interference. This won't give me a fitment answer, but if this doesn't work I won't have to go any further.

Ed, I think they do look nice as is. If I sprang for the same size, I wouldn't be unhappy. They do fill out the wheel wells better than, say the stock 26.1" tall P215/65R15's on my old '92 Sport.

Funny, for whatever reason the '92 never appeared to have noticeable wheelwell gap even when it was new with the original Goodyear GS-A's on it. Probably didn't notice it back then. Or maybe the Yokohamas that replaced the Goodyears are slightly smaller...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Figured I'd check in. Needed tires bad so I stayed with my existing 17 x 7" Enkiei wheels and bought a set of W-rated Firestone Indy 500s in the P235/55R17 size. Rides nice and has stiffer sidewalls than the worn GYs.

And if I go the 20" route for the other Bird in the future, I've got some info. I have 1/2" safe clearance between the new Tire and the bottom of the spindle/ball joint connection. So I would start test fitting with a 28.1" or shorter tire.

Thanks for everyone's help. If there's any new info, I'll post it here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts