TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 4.6 and looking to replace the mufflers. Want to go with SpinTech, but cant decide on the super pro street, pro street, sportsman, or cruiser. I have heard tons of sound clips, but they all have changed piping. I am keeping the stock setup, but at the rear split upgrading to 2.25" to the mufflers instead of 2". I want that loud throaty sound, but dont want bleeding ears on a road trip. Just curious what you would recommend. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Different things sound better to different people. My girlfreind thinks my car is loud, I think it needs to be louder. I also like the flowmaster sound on my 5.0, 4.6 I like borla. Different strokes for different folks

·
Banned
241 Posts
honestly, try it without the mufflers...The car actually has a very nice growl with no mufflers or resonators..I had it on mine and it sounded like a nice 5.0 with my minor boltons and stock exhaust.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Are you deleting the resonators up front? If not then your not going to get much of a sound no matter what mufflers you use...

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Are you deleting the resonators up front? If not then your not going to get much of a sound no matter what mufflers you use...
Agreed. I had a Dynomax catback once that bolted up behind the resonator. It sounded pretty much stock. It's not so much the mufflers that give you the sound, it's the lack of stuff in the piping.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I did an x pipe, SLP Loudmouth 1's, and 2.25" duals. You can search to find my pics and vids/soundclips, as I'm posting from my phone and can't do it myself.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not deleting anything, all stock set up, except for increasing the last bit of piping from 2" to 2.25". I am in southern california, and under the impression that deleting / removing things in the exhaust set up will cause me smog pass issues. I guess I should go with the loudest muffler possible (spintech super pro street) and assume that the stock piping will negate a lot of the mufflers volume and hopefully end up with something decent :) thanks for all your responses!

·
Registered
740 Posts
I pass both visual and sniffer here in Houston, and our inspections are damn near as stringent as y'alls are out there....

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
As long as you have factory cats you should be able to pass smog test I would think..

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Yes, deleting your resonator will do nothing for your emissions.
Yeh, it's RESONATOR (as in sound), not RESPIRATOR (as in air).....

Sorry, sometimes I can't resist..... :zdunno:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts