TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I was looking at the Mustang & Ford trader this last week and I came across an ad for this thing called Spiralmax. It's supposed to be good for intake stuff. They have user's accounts on the website www.spiralmax.com. They are telling of a general 10-15hp increase but I don't know if that is a bunch of BS or if they work. Anybody here used'em or heard of someone who did?

Thundercat

·
Registered
621 Posts
I *REALLY* don't understand HOW THE HELL a spiral at the end of an exaust tip would increase the velocity of the gasses.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
It's a good idea....

because swirlled air does do a better job of mixing with fuel, but this can only be accomplished with swirl dams inside the combustion chamber. All cars have them, and even if those products worked, it would be redundant.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone TRIED it?

So, it's just some snake oil... I've heard that before. (See the K&N argument...) I wanna know if you have tried it. If you have post it! :)

I'm gonna get my friend to try it in his 2000 Z28. ;) There is a money-back gaurantee. He is wiling try. I will let you guys know if the Spiralmax works on his ride.

Thundercat

·
Registered
621 Posts
Re: Has anyone TRIED it?

Thundercat said:
So, it's just some snake oil... I've heard that before. (See the K&N argument...) I wanna know if you have tried it. If you have post it! :)

I'm gonna get my friend to try it in his 2000 Z28. ;) There is a money-back gaurantee. He is wiling try. I will let you guys know if the Spiralmax works on his ride.

Thundercat
It would really be difficult to prove an increase of power across the powerband without any type of benchmarking tool, like a dyno. I've seen dyno charts of the Tornado Air Filter, and someone gained ~1HP across the band, while some other people lost like ~6HP. Just using your "senses" to try to see if you feel the power would be useless, you'd just assume that it did work.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
You've got a lot of balls bringing that subject up in here. I'm suprised no one has flamed you yet. I say spend that money on a nice set of tamper proof torx bits-- particularly the T-20. Then buy some electronics cleaner in a can and clean your MAF wires. That will get you more gains than a cut-up cola can. I hope for the Camaro's sake that no piece of that thing flies down his intake.

PJ

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Re: Has anyone TRIED it?....IF YOU try it....

Thundercat said:

Thundercat

Variants of the Spiralmax have been around since the '40's - none
of them are around now. But every few years some scam artist comes
up with a new variation on the theme.

Smart move to have your buddy pay for it so you're not wasting yours.
Have him put it on a credit card so he's got a better chance of getting his money back.

You DID notice on their web site that they effectively don't promise you ANY benefit from their product at all? To quote:

"0 to 35 increase in horsepower,"

"0 to 31.85% increase in fuel economy."

Smart legal move - they actually are guaranteeing exactly nothing.

If you're buddy puts one on his Camaro - you'll have to do 3 or 4
before and after 1/4 mile runs or some before and after dyno runs
for your report back to the board to carry any weight.

What we are trying to do on this site is to eliminate any ass talking
or "super calibrated ass hair" measurements. We're all looking for
hard facts - not the ole bullsh*t "Well, it FELT faster" or "Well
my throttle response was better"........HUH?

Good luck - I hope your test program turns out to be a resounding success.....but, unfortunately I doubt very much that it will be.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Re: Re: Has anyone TRIED it?....IF YOU try it....

MagerThom said:
What we are trying to do on this site is to eliminate any ass talking
or "super calibrated ass hair" measurements. We're all looking for
hard facts - not the ole bullsh*t "Well, it FELT faster" or "Well
my throttle response was better"........HUH?
[/B]
EXACTALLY what I was trying to say. A few friends of mines who own Civics and Corollas think that "they gain HP" when they put in 92 octance, which I tell them, is totally not true. It's all a mental game.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OUCH!

Geez, you guys are taking this seriously. You would think that I was encouraging people to join the Taliban (WHICH I AM CERTAINLY NOT! :eek: ). I just want to know for myself. My buddy is willing to try it. If it is BS then I will let you know. It's just that NO one has actually tried it. So I'm gonna try it and tell you if it works.

BTW, My friend works at the Speedway so he already has his car quartered. He's gonna take it back when we get this Spiralmax voodoo in it. Then I will let you know if it really works or not. Just remember there are some people that think that with more intake a K&N filter doesn't really work. I happen to know that they do.

Thundercat

·
Mushroom Stamp Layer
844 Posts
2 points...

1. We don't have carburators....you can swirl whatever you want and it's not gonna make a lick of difference once it hits the intake manifold.

2. You "KNOW" K&N's work? Really? I have yet to see or hear one actually make any gain on a dyno. Not to mention filters you have to oil will get the oil on your MAF wires and end up leaning it out which is very not good....but yeah...at that point it'll make a little more power cause it's running leaner. Oil-less filters are the way to go.

Seabass

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
YES!!!.....We DO take this kind of misinformation seriously....

Thundercat said:
Geez, you guys are taking this seriously. You would think that I was encouraging people to join the Taliban (WHICH I AM CERTAINLY NOT! :eek: ). I just want to know for myself. My buddy is willing to try it. If it is BS then I will let you know. It's just that NO one has actually tried it. So I'm gonna try it and tell you if it works.

BTW, My friend works at the Speedway so he already has his car quartered. He's gonna take it back when we get this Spiralmax voodoo in it. Then I will let you know if it really works or not. Just remember there are some people that think that with more intake a K&N filter doesn't really work. I happen to know that they do.

Thundercat
It's just this kind of Ass Talking that damned near flushed this
board down the toilet and we lost 90% over our most technically
qualified contributors.

"Just remember there are some people that think that with more intake a K&N filter doesn't really work. I happen to know that they do."

You "HAPPEN" to "KNOW" that they do.....? GREAT!....because the rest
of of don't. WHERE are your supporting FACTS? PLEASE, NO quotes from K&N ads. So scan and post your FACTS that prove K&N filters provide a
power increase and precisely under what conditions...I for one, would
very much like to be enlightened

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
"BTW, My friend works at the Speedway so he already has his car quartered. He's gonna take it back when we get this Spiralmax voodoo in it."

Alright, man... Let us know what calculations you are using to compensate for temperature, humidity, barometric, and traction differences-- assuming your friend kept all of those previous records. Oh, and don't forget to have him carry the SAME amount of fuel as he did in his previous run. Lol. Please... just do three decent runs with it in the intake, take an average, then do 3 runs without it and take an average. The runs need to be done under the SAME conditions. At least be impirical about this.

PJ

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mis-information???

Well the voodoo Sprialmax has been ordered. I should know the results. I will try to be as impirical about this as possible. However adjusting for barometric pressure will be a little hard. I'll try my best. We've got some time to play with it next week.

I'll be honest you guys are being seriously harsh. I am NOT spreading Mis-information I'm only trying to get the truth about this thing. Yes the K&N filter gave me a 55-60 mile range improvement on my per tank miles.

Thundercat

·
Registered
604 Posts
Im gonna have to side with thundercat on this one, but for different reasons than you think. Okay. So that swirly sh!t doesn't work.....people have mixed opinions on K&N products. Thats fine. Just because thunder said some things that y'all don't agree with doesn't mean y'all have to ***** at him. I mean for christs sake he's not claiming that all your opinions are stupid and wrong. If his MPG increased, so be it. Come on guys, I know you all are nice people, give him a break will ya?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Like many other people here, I'm just looking for information. I have always heard that the spiralmax charlatan hp does not work. I wouldn't order it anyway as it seems like snake oil. But thundercat does not deserve to be flamed so much. Us noobs need info. like you all did in your early days.

It is good that this subject got a lot of replies, which means a lot of people read it. At least now everyone knows about this POS equipment.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Ya know, while most people dont like talking about this stuff. It kinda reminds me of the hardware reviews from tomshardware.com (in some twisted way)
Even though it may not work, or might break something, someone will always review it. Why not talk about it here just to share an opinion?

Wow, I just noticed I'm a first gear poster. WOOO!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Hey, Thundercat......

No problem...if you added 60 miles to a tankful
because of your K&N filter that's great....
I mean it, but so far you are the only person on
this board that's come up with a number like that.
It's too bad most of have found our milage didn't
change much if at all, but there are always exceptions
to the rule though and with that kind of increase
you're certainly one of them. I wish the rest of us
could say the same.

As far as that spiral thing's concerned that concept has
been beaten to death here and elsewhere for a very long
time with no positive results. If your friend's Camaro
proves to be another exception that's great, but that doesn't
make up for all the people that have bought that type of
product and found it to be worthless. Then again, with proper
caveats, if the anecdotal evidence of one person's experience
satisfies some members of this board enough to convince then
to go out and buy one of those things - fine, at least with
proper warning they'll be doing it with their eyes open.

Good luck, I'll be interested to hear about your results. :)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
K&N Gains?

Me and my friends took our cars to the track last October. My friend's Malibu with a 305 was running low 17's, like 17.1, 17.0 area everytime. He really just wanted to see the little 305 throw up a 16. He took the paper filter off, he ran a 16.9...a .1 gain over his next fastest run...that is maybe 10 hp increase taking the air filter OFF. This will flow more air than a K&N, no way a K&N makes any difference.

Just a question, how long had the filter you replaced with the K&N been on there? I bet there was a difference if it was real dirty, in this same light the 305 had a brand new filter put on that week.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Re: K&N Gains?

4 Cam Bird said:
Me and my friends took our cars to the track last October. My friend's Malibu with a 305 was running low 17's, like 17.1, 17.0 area everytime. He really just wanted to see the little 305 throw up a 16. He took the paper filter off, he ran a 16.9...a .1 gain over his next fastest run...that is maybe 10 hp increase taking the air filter OFF. This will flow more air than a K&N, no way a K&N makes any difference.

Just a question, how long had the filter you replaced with the K&N been on there? I bet there was a difference if it was real dirty, in this same light the 305 had a brand new filter put on that week.
Agreed......

Then again, I'm told that's "harsh".....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts