TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I look at it, the more I cuss a the front suspension design. I'm curious to know if anyone has thought of replacing the mushings with a 4WD style hiem joint?

It would involve a little cutting and welding. Most likely transfer more road noise into the car too. However, if you could find a Monster hiem that you could sleeve with a bushing where it meets the body I think it would be well worth it.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I like the idea! I think it would be hard and labor intensive, but well worth the end result

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I think Ford engineers spent a lot of time designing the front suspension to perform better than any other vehicle on the road.

But go ahead and stick a heim joint on it - and let us know how it works out for you. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
The MN-12 design is one of the best ever.

I doubt you will be able to improve on it.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
The strut rods were a compromise to reduce NVH.

Rig up a custom K member with true lower A arms from some other car if your going to cut and weld :)
The drag strut suspension allows the front wheels to recede and absorb impacts as they encounter sudden elevations in the road. Directional bushings reduce bumpsteer to a minimum. The bump harshness the drag strut transmits to the body is fed into the extreme front of the structure, at least 12 inches farther forward of the passengers than would be the case with double wishbone suspensions.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMHO the factory bushings do a great job for their intended purpose. But when pushed there's not much to stop them. Steering geometry goes out the window...

The idea I have in mind isn't a bolt in kit, but should be fairly easy to install. & keep the wheels where they're supposed to be

·
Registered
1,485 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
:bowdown:

That's exactly the creature I had in mind thanks for the link. AND they also offer LH threads for ease of adjustment at alignment time.

looks like for $100 I've found my next project!

My new plan is to design a box style sub-assembly to hold the link & fit around the outside of the chassis. Then notch the area where the strut rod goes through & reinforce if necessary.

I'm going to be a lazy arse and get the boxes built right by somebody else. Plus it would look much better bent up out of 1/4" plate rather than welded together flat stock.

I think this is going to be an easy mod. If anyone is interested I'll get some quotes for a GP price.

:D

·
Registered
252 Posts
The soft OEM front strut rod bushing is supposed to give some longitudinal compliance. Impact harshness is bad enough with firmer bushings in that location. Without any compliance at all, the impact harshness will be ridiculous.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree, the OEM bushings do make for a nice ride. That's not my goal with this project. I would like to take the squish out of the strut rod setup & see what it does for the handling.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
That sounds cool, so you would be able to adjust caster alot easier as well?
-Rob

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup yup, Just like adjusting the toe. I'm going to order a pair of end links this week. I'll design the cradle mounts after I have all the parts in hand to play with.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just ordered a pair of LH 1"- 14 joints & a set of matching LH thread jam nuts.

I need a bit of help: What is the size & thread pitch of the strut rod nut? From what I can measure my best guesstimate is it's a M24X3. My last hour of searches have only yielded a bunch of dorks asking what size wrench they will need... (Go find a metric crescent wrench... :D)

Second, I need a good accurate straight line measurement from the LCA to the chassis inside mount. I'll need to chop the factory arms off short of the bushing mounting point, but I don't know where. I'd measure from my ride, but my bushings are shot and the front end has been knocked around couple times. I'd like to compare a couple of numbers from a virgin ride with a good alignment & go from there.

Thanks!

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I'll take what I can get. I'd like few sets of measurements so I can get a good average. I'm going to put the car on the ramps Saturday and do some quality head scratching...
reason I said not from me......my suspension right now in the front is all the way up with no load on it....is that okay?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts