TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, but I've done alot of reading here about split port engine swaps. I have a few specific questions regarding the procedure.

Would it be crazy to have a shop do this so I don't mess it up, or is that too expensive?

I have a 96 3.8 XR7 with DIS, so that would make the swap to 99' 3.8 easy, right?

I would need a feul rail part to correct the difference between returnless/return feul system? What kind?

I would need part of a 99' wiring harness for the connectors?

I would need a tune up afterwards to correct the computer?

Is there any other parts I need or anything I left out?

Thanks a bunch guys, let me know if this is getting in too deep for a noob.

·
Registered
718 Posts
1: yes it would be mucho $$$

2: yes it would be much easier

3: honestly you shouldnt need any of the 99' harness if you swap over all your sensors and injectors.

4: On the cars Ive done I've needed no tune up at all to run properly,, however getting the EGR to function is the largest problem. so that usually sets off a check engine light.

·
The Parts Guy
7,425 Posts
As Splitportbird said, having a shop do the swap would be very expensive.

The fact that your car already has DIS, will make the swap MUCH easier.

You'll either need to modify the splitport fuel rail into a returnstyle rail, or modify a returnstyle rail to fit the splitport engine. I used a 96(?) Windstar fuel rail on my car, which required fabricating two brackets to attach the rail to the lower intake. I also had to shorten the end of the driverside main runner on the upper intake to clear the FPR.

While you don't HAVE to have the splitport harness, I'd try to at least get the engine harness with the engine.

A dynotune would be highly adviseable. Back when I did the swap, we were able to run the car on a stock style EEC, but it had to be tuned to get everything working correctly. Your case is quite different, since you won't be adding DIS to your car. You may be able to get away without a tune, but if you want to get the most out of the swap and make sure you're not running lean, I'd recommend dynotuning the car.

-Rod

·
Registered
718 Posts
Skip the windstar fuel rail,, and get a 4.2L F-150/E-150 fuel rail,, its a return style rail and works great with no modifications neccesary. except for the fact that you have to extend the fuel lines to reach across the engine,, but thats simple.

The only reason we didnt get the EGR system working on my first splitport swap was because we used a distributor on it,, with DIS I see no reason it couldnt be hooked up to work with a lil inginuity.

Again,, I really see no reason for the dyno tune at all,, the stock 14lb injectors will handle the extra power fine and the mass-air system will add fuel if it see's more air consumption. otherwise if you really think about it its just another 3.8L except with better heads and intake.... Talk to any 5.0L guy (me included) and if you add better heads and intake to a stock 5.0l it will work perfect with no tune at all.. and usually a tune gains nothing at all. dont underestimate the power of the EEC-IV.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Also wanted to add,, for simplicity look for a used 99' mustang 3.8L... Reason i say this is that engine did not come equiped with the IMRC lower intake manifold, this save the trouble of hooking it up or wondering how to wire it. If you do get another engine it can be wired wide open with no ill effects.

Just a matter of what your skills are.

·
The Parts Guy
7,425 Posts
SplitPortBird said:
The only reason we didnt get the EGR system working on my first splitport swap was because we used a distributor on it,, with DIS I see no reason it couldnt be hooked up to work with a lil inginuity.

Yep, with DIS, the only hassle hooking up the EGR is making a tube to connect the MN12 exhaust manifold to the EGR valve.

SplitPortBird said:
Again,, I really see no reason for the dyno tune at all,, the stock 14lb injectors will handle the extra power fine and the mass-air system will add fuel if it see's more air consumption. otherwise if you really think about it its just another 3.8L except with better heads and intake.... Talk to any 5.0L guy (me included) and if you add better heads and intake to a stock 5.0l it will work perfect with no tune at all.. and usually a tune gains nothing at all. dont underestimate the power of the EEC-IV.
As I said earlier, his swap will be quite a bit different than what I went through, since he won't have to add DIS to his car. He won't NEED a tune, but tuning the car certainly won't hurt. I had to have a tune. The first pull on the dyno, the car was only making 101 rwhp. Three pulls later, we were up to 165 rwhp. But, I added DIS, I was running a 94 CAI EEC-IV, along with 21lb injectors and a few other mods. If he's keeping the engine stock, running the singleport sensors and 14lb fuel injectors, he should be ok without a tune. But I wouldn't say that a tune won't bring any gains.

-Rod

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, thats what I thought. All I really need is a 3.8L engine from a 99' Mustang, a fuel rail from a 4.2L F-150, extended fuel lines, and the throttle cable from a 99' Mustang. I wonder why more people don't do this with 96/97s?

·
The Parts Guy
7,425 Posts
bloy105 said:
I wonder why more people don't do this with 96/97s?

Don't go jinxing yourself before you do the swap. :D

Good luck.

-Rod

·
Registered
718 Posts
I might have messed up myself,, I believe the 4.2L fuel rail can be reversed so it points torward the fuel lines where they originaly were on the stock motor,, this would be Plug N Play,, I'll get back you on this.

·
Registered
718 Posts
OK just checked out my above statement and yes it can be flipped to put the fittings like they were stock... However 2 of the mounting points for the fuel rail dont match up so small brackets would have to be made to bolts it to the lower intake. Either way looks just as simple to do.

Brad

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
I have tried the truck rail (from a 98 engine) and there is no way it would fit without a 3/4" spacer between the upper and lower intake (using a mustang upper and a truck lower) or serious modification to the upper intake. The FPR hit's the upper intake.

I am going with a returnless fuel rail and adding a return line to it. alot easier, no clearance problems.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Litning said:
I have tried the truck rail (from a 98 engine) and there is no way it would fit without a 3/4" spacer between the upper and lower intake (using a mustang upper and a truck lower) or serious modification to the upper intake. The FPR hit's the upper intake.

I am going with a returnless fuel rail and adding a return line to it. alot easier, no clearance problems.

OK first off stupid me for saying that it fits, LOL I was judging by the fact I have the F-150 intake mounted right now.

Now I have used the F-150 fuel rail with the mustang intake and it fits fine with no spacer, BUT it has to be left in the same way it came on the f-150 with the lines pointing torward the brake booster, only thing I had to do then was extend the rubber fuel lines by 12" or so. and that was real easy!

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
SplitPortBird said:
OK first off stupid me for saying that it fits, LOL I was judging by the fact I have the F-150 intake mounted right now.

Now I have used the F-150 fuel rail with the mustang intake and it fits fine with no spacer, BUT it has to be left in the same way it came on the f-150 with the lines pointing torward the brake booster, only thing I had to do then was extend the rubber fuel lines by 12" or so. and that was real easy!
nope... sorry man, I have tested it many ways, the 1998 f150 rail will not fit without modification to the upper intake. The FPR and the lines will not work...

now, yours might be different than mine was, since you are going with a different style F150 intake, and that's fine, but to let others know, I have seen with my own eyes that it won't work with a 98 fuel rail and a mustang upper.

John

·
Registered
718 Posts
OK now is the 98 fuel rail different then the 2000' fuel rail? or is the E-150 fuel rail different from the F-150? Cause I believe maybe I ordered a E-150 Rail.

Either way now someones gonna make me call my buddy up to bring by the car we done.

Mustang Intake (No spacer) + E-150/F-150 rail (return style) = does fit,, and it fits with a distributor too!

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
i don't know if there is a difference between the 98 and the 2000, but with the intake change, there might have been a fuel rail change...

·
Registered
718 Posts
OK you made me go out to the garage and grab my Mustang intake to put on over the F-150 (Return style) fuel rail,,,, and guess what. It fits perfect any way I put it.

I happen to like it like this because the fuel lines are exactly like the stock 96' engines lines are.

Screw you guys I'm going home =)

P.S. Litning, dont say one word bout my chitty camera! LOL

·
The Parts Guy
7,425 Posts
Litning said:

No spacer required. :D

That's the 96 Windstar fuel rail on the 2000 Mustang upper and lower. The driver side main runner just needed a little work. ;)

-Rod

1 - 17 of 17 Posts