TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
interested in swapping my stock, slow, crappy, knocking 3.8 for the splitport 3.8... what can i expect as far as performance gains? is it a worthwile swap? has anyone went to the track with this motor? what does car run?

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
I've been running a 2000 Splitport 3.8L in my 94 LX daily driver since late '02. Completely stock with an UD crank pulley, dual exhaust and 93 octane, it made 165 rwhp/198 rwtq way back when we tuned it. On the 87 octane tune, it makes 8 rwhp/12 rwtq less.

A stock singleport 3.8L will lay down 120 rwhp on its best day, so it is a pretty decent gain.

-Rod

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Or go with a 4.2 Single port.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
http://www.3.8mustang.com ; there is a LOT of info on there. (edit, remove the L)

A guy named Jerome is running twin turbos on his 3.8L and IIRC is putting down HP numbers in the high 300s, and he's not the only one. Turbocharging the 3.8 splitport is quite popular, and recently, I saw a post (I think on SCCOA) of an M112 on a 3.8L splitport.

The speedkills M90 kit has been under development for god knows how long, and who knows if it will ever be a real, purchasable kit.

Anyhow, yeah, there is a fair amount of stuff avail for the 3.8L.

-Ghost

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Like Rod said, it just has the single port heads and intakes. This is the build that I am currently doing as of right now. Granted, it won't have the air flow like the splitport does, but I am going for ease of install. With the upper and lower intakes ported and polished, and runners shortened, it will flow efficiently enough. I'm not taking to easy way out of the build either, later down the road a power adder will be added. It will take time, but it is worth it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
idk what to do with car as far as new motor now... ppl say splitport swap other say v8 swap others say sell car... car running more & more like crap so i need to figure something out soon.. it'll be my winter/spring project...

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
v6power.net also has a lot of good info (more than 3.8mustang IMO :) )

A split-port swap is fairly easy, but then, so is sticking a 4.2 shortblock under your exhisting stock heads/intakes, etc. A combination of the two would be very nice, you could see 180rwhp on stock heads/intakes with that combo. With ported heads/intakes and a moderate cam, you could see 250-300rwhp. Add some nitrous in to the mix and it would be a fun car.

The speedkillz kit will NEVER come in to production, I promise. He got so caught up in carbon fiber what nots that it became more of a form than function project and Im sure he's lost his motivation by now. supersixmotorsports.com made an M112 kit for the split-ports, but it has not yet become a production item. At least they have a running operating car with the prototype though. I see that coming out soon

-Thomas

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
A split-port swap is fairly easy, but then, so is sticking a 4.2 shortblock under your exhisting stock heads/intakes, etc. A combination of the two would be very nice, you could see 180rwhp on stock heads/intakes with that combo. With ported heads/intakes and a moderate cam, you could see 250-300rwhp. Add some nitrous in to the mix and it would be a fun car.
Now are you referring to the single port setup with the 250-300 range, or the split port? Matt told me that I should see roughly 220ish to the rear wheels with the setup that I am doing, NA that is. Honestly, I will be happy with anything above 200.

·
8,978 Posts
split-port 4.2 is what i was referring to.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I think the easiest thing would be to swap in a complete 4.2 from an F-150. However, you will need to modify your hood or get a new one. If you want the stock hood, take that same 4.2 and swap on a set of single-port heads, then sell the split-port stuff and make a little money back.

·
8,978 Posts
if youre going for cheap power, 4.2 shortblock with 99+ mustang intakes is the way to go. Putting stock single-port heads and intakes would be pointless, they just dont flow enough.

as for a stock shortblock with SSM heads/intakes/cam...I would guess around 230rwhp. Seriously though, if you got the same package for the splitport you could see 260-280rwhp.

-Thomas

1 - 16 of 16 Posts