TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished the splitport swap and since it was nice today I took some pictures.

EGR with custom mounting tube to clear distributor.

Custom kickdown bracket.

Cowl clearance.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Looks good. Are you going to have it dynotuned? Which fuel rail did you go with? Which lower intake are you using (with or without IMRC's)?

-Rod

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
i love that kickdown cable bracket!

did you use any kind of intake spacer between the upper and lower intake?

What fuel rail did you go with and how did you make it work?

What kind of intake tube did you go with?

Were there any issues with the heater hoses?

I am sure I will have more questions...

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Nice fitment with the distributor and EGR, I didnt think they fit together. Very cool.
-Thomas

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the nice words. Now some answers:

It runs great now with the 14lb injectors. In the future I plan to get a Tweecer so I can get the most out of the engine.

The fuel rail is a custom piece I made. I used a '99 Windstar rail because it would clear the distributor, but to clear the upper manifold I had to cut off the fuel outlet/pressure regulator from the T-block, and then tap and plug the hole. I used the regulator assembly from my original engine with a custom bracket to bolt to the back of the manifold, and then used high pressure fuel injector hose from a hydraulic shop to connect it all up. It sits low enough for the upper intake to fit without any spacers.

The engine came from a 2000 Mustang, so there are no IMRC’s in the lower intake.

For the intake hose I am temporarily using my original hose with about 3” cut out of the center and then taped together with duct tape. I have been searching local junkyards for a hose that will work, but if I can’t find one I will make my hack a little more permanent by joining the 2 sections with a piece of thin walled pipe.

I modified the heater pipe by cutting and welding in a bung for the automatic climate control sensor. I also drilled and tapped the thermostat bypass to install the temperature gauge’s sensor.

The EGR valve is from my original 3.8. The inlet is 180 degrees from the Mustangs original, making it perfect to clear the distributor and hood while still retaining the manifold-to-EGR tube. To connect it to the manifold I made a custom tube with 2 flanges so it would all bolt up.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
I used the air intake tube from a 94 SC on my splitport, and it fits perfectly. You may want to try looking around for one of those.

Did the 99 Windstar rail bolt up to the lower intake correctly? The 96 Windstar rail that I used required me to make two small brackets to bolt it to the lower intake.

-Rod

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll keep an eye out for a Super Coupe tube. There's a huge u-pull-it about 80 miles north from here, I may have to go there.

The '99 Windstar rail's mounting tabs line up perfectly. Too bad Ford did not put the regulator at the rear of the rail, because there it would have fit without the need for modifications.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts