TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive seen a few 99+ 3.8L mustangs running around with a turbo kit. typically only pushing 6-8 lbs of boost, but i was curious how it would hold up to stroked 3.8L with a splitport swap. i have 10.3.1 compression and wasn't sure if i was at a safe ratio for a turbo.

thanks,

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
a 10 comp would be quite high for a boosted setup. You would have problems tuning and would probally get some detonation. The ideal comp for a turbo would be between 8-9 comp. The lower the comp the more boost you can crank up depending on the durability of the engine. At low RPMs and idle the com will be at say 8 comp but under boost the comp will rise as boost rises.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the clarification on that, sucks that i cant make it happen right now. mabay down the road on next rebuild i can change out the shortblock and have some real fun..

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
twin turbo 281 said:
a 10 comp would be quite high for a boosted setup. You would have problems tuning and would probally get some detonation. The ideal comp for a turbo would be between 8-9 comp. The lower the comp the more boost you can crank up depending on the durability of the engine. At low RPMs and idle the com will be at say 8 comp but under boost the comp will rise as boost rises.
8:9 is still high(you could get it lower than that), I would get it down as much as possible. If you run high compression ratio on the engine, the more higher octane would you need for it to not detonate. Even at that, sometime it will detonate.

4.3Lcougar said:
thanks for the clarification on that, sucks that i cant make it happen right now. mabay down the road on next rebuild i can change out the shortblock and have some real fun..
Slap it on and do not run more than 6psi and you would be good.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
A good intercooler and a methanol injection kit will allow you to run more boost...just don't get too agressive with the timing. Lots of the mustang guys are running turbos on stock compression motors.

With 9.1:1 static compression I'm running 15 pounds on 93 octane with methanol injection set to start spraying when boost goes over 7 pounds. I could probably get away with about 25 degrees of advance, but not going any higher than 20 to stay safe.

David

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
David Neibert said:
A good intercooler and a methanol injection kit will allow you to run more boost...just don't get too agressive with the timing. Lots of the mustang guys are running turbos on stock compression motors.

With 9.1:1 static compression I'm running 15 pounds on 93 octane with methanol injection set to starting to spray when boost goes over 7 pounds. I could probably get away with about 25 degrees of advance, but not going any higher than 20 to stay safe.

David

:confused: methanol injection :confused: um, never heard of that. also if i did everything mentioned above at 6psi being a safe boost level, what gains could be expected. and what all does it entail for installing the methanol injection????

sorry im still learning the turbo world. its really confusing, LOL:eek:

·
The Parts Guy
7,326 Posts
Snow performance makes a popular methanol injection setup. You can find their kits on Summit's website. You would want the stage 1 kit for your application.

-Rod

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
racecougar said:
Snow performance makes a popular methanol injection setup. You can find their kits on Summit's website. You would want the stage 1 kit for your application.

-Rod
Yes....that's the brand I'm using on both of my cars.

David

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
4.3Lcougar said:
:confused: methanol injection :confused: um, never heard of that. also if i did everything mentioned above at 6psi being a safe boost level, what gains could be expected. and what all does it entail for installing the methanol injection????

sorry im still learning the turbo world. its really confusing, LOL:eek:
Suggest you spend a few days/weeks reading about turbos at this website.

http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/

David

PS: Don't ask questions over there...just read for now.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
6psi on your engine would be fine with very conservative timing. Even then you are still looking at a 30% HP/TQ increase. My car with a less effecient Vortech supercharger at 9psi (peak) gained 54% HP and 29% more torque over my N/A engine, I'm only making 7psi boost where the 54% HP gain is seen.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Eric Z. said:
I'm using a Snows kit also, I picked up ~20hp running just straight water.

can a methanol kit be used without a turbo? if not how hard is the install....?? PICS?????

·
The Parts Guy
7,326 Posts
4.3Lcougar said:
can a methanol kit be used without a turbo? if not how hard is the install....?? PICS?????
It is generally used on vehicles with forced induction, as it cools the air charge while deterring detonation. I doubt you would see any real gain on a naturally aspirated engine at the power levels that we're talking about here.

-Rod

1 - 13 of 13 Posts