TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya folks,

I am thinking about dumping my Magnaflow dual-in/single-out for a y-pipe and single Dynomax Ultraflo that splits after the rear axle like a stock v8. If I do this, what size piping and muffler should I get, 2.25" or 2.5"? Dynomax's chart says 2.5". The car is all stock, save for a K&N filter. She has 55k miles on her. My main reason for the change is sound. The Magnaflow isn't quite there. It sounds nice, but my wife's Expedition (4.6L w/ Dynomax catback) sounds downright mean compared to the Bird. Any input? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
bbickers said:
Hiya folks,

I am thinking about dumping my Magnaflow dual-in/single-out for a y-pipe and single Dynomax Ultraflo that splits after the rear axle like a stock v8. If I do this, what size piping and muffler should I get, 2.25" or 2.5"? Dynomax's chart says 2.5". The car is all stock, save for a K&N filter. She has 55k miles on her. My main reason for the change is sound. The Magnaflow isn't quite there. It sounds nice, but my wife's Expedition (4.6L w/ Dynomax catback) sounds downright mean compared to the Bird. Any input? Thanks!
Didn't catch what year you have... 3rd cat and resonator (if you have one) provide a ton of restriction and really hold back on the sound. 2.5" might be big for not having any mods and you might loose some torque, but if you are doing that after the y, it doesn't really matter because you have so much restriction prior to that. If you are just touching that part of your exhaust, better mufflers will help, but your not really going to be drastically different. If you really want to get a good sound, you should have a true dual setup done, or removed the 3rd cat/resonator and run 2.5 piping straight back.

But it really depends on budget and whether or not you have emissions testing.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Palmguy said:
It's a '97...so no resonator.
Indeed... i forgot to look before i started to post and didn't feel like cancelling it...

I was just being lazy :)

However, the V6 97s still had the resonator I believe....

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
bbickers said:
Hiya folks,

Brian -

Don't waste your money changing mufflers. You're three oem cats are providing
a lot of sound abatement.......Dan at ART told me a while back that an ART setup
with oem primary cats or aftermarket high flow cats, no third cat, and a couple of
typical oval mufflers at the back (just as an example), are quieter than most new
owners anticipate.

Chris is right - if you're willing...you'll at the very least, have to eliminate that
third cat and go for (presumably) a dual setup. I'd definitely get an x-pipe as
part of what you put in as it has a nice "ordering" affect on the exhaust pulses.
Just makes for a nicer tone as long as you're not shooting for the essentially
unmuffled street racer effect....

And if you're going to stay stock, I'd go with a 2.25" system......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts