TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our recently aquired 1992 Thunderbird Sport did not have a spoiler on the back, and the wife and I have been seeing some with the spoiler and decided we would like one too. We did the same on the '85 way back when.

Well, been looking at several on Ebay, bid on a some used ones over the last couple months but lost, and kept seeing adds by Spoilercentral. So I broke down and ordered one, and decided to let them paint it as they said they could match any color by code using PPGs system and a downforce drying system. Our 92 was just recently painted Dark Plum, code GA which was original.

Spoiler came today, unlighted as requested, $135 total, painted and shipped, it has three legs, looks exactly like stock ones we've seen, paint is virtually flawless, and from what we can tell, a near perfect match. All hardware was in the package, spoiler was wrapped with foam like sheets, in a box.

Not pushing the products, but at the low price I was skeptical and just thought I'ld throw it out there in case someone else was eyeing their listings. I'll post new pics after it warms up and I get it mounted, or maybe I'll just set it on there and take a few next couple of days?

Later ...... ;)

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
hmm.. maybe when i buy a new bird, if it doesnt have one, i'll keep them in mind!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Installed today 02-28-07

OK, it warmed up and so today I washed the car up, and backed it into my shop area and pulled the new spoiler out and spread the foam packing on the car's back glass and laid it there, and followed the instructrions closely, paying special attention to get it mounted centered, etc, and it's less that 1/16" difference from side to side now. Use a step drill as they say. Paint looks like a very close match. It really dressed the car up.

Here's one last shot of it taken inside the carport under different lighting, they did match it well, what with the color being so "odd ball" (only used one year on a Bird, maybe it was a Taurus color?).

Now I just need to catch a good day to strip and refinish my 16x7" 7 spoke wheels, work on the FORD centers, and put some 225/60-16 rubber on it.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks folks, I was worried when I was thinking of buying it painted, but the emails from spoilercentral assured me and detailed the paint and drying system. One day longer to paint and dry and shipped. Price was good I thought, and I have noticed that many factory wings are not lighted when the light is in the rear window (spoiler does not block it).

Later .......... :cool:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Looks great, 135 painted and shipped is nice too. I show that Dark Plum was mainly a 92 color although some early 93s had it. It is a pretty rare color.

Originally posted by bad93bird:
I don't even know my paint code.
Judging from your pics I would say it's Crystal Blue Frost Clearcoat Metallic code MD. It's the only light blue listed in 93

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Very nice. I pulled an identical looking spoiler at the salvage for 20 bucks. I've done around $100 worth of labor filling in the 3rd light, smoothing it up and primering. Bargains usually have their price. Now I have to wait until the whole car gets painted before installing it.

Coincidentally the spoiler and car were the same purple as your car. I wondered how that car could be so abused after spending so much on the purple paint- didn't know it was an oem color.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh cool! Thanks alot. Where do yall get this info? Is there somewhere to obtain it?
He knows his colors and he has a lot of good info on his personal page. If your car is still painted a factory color, and if you want to be sure, here is a web page that illustrates exactly where to find the code for your car's paint. Look at the label and find the faint yellow highlighted box towards the lower left. The one in the pic is "YZ" for example. ;)

icantdrive55 said:
Coincidentally the spoiler and car were the same purple as your car. I wondered how that car could be so abused after spending so much on the purple paint- didn't know it was an oem color.
You lost me there. :confused:

But I get lost now and then ..... :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts