TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing some research on cheap ways of making my 96 cougar stop a little better for the autocross, as that seems to be a real weak point in hard driving. I have decided that for the time being I would like to do the "sport" or lincoln mark VIII front brake upgrade. I found a source for the calipers and brackets, and I will just buy new rotors and some EBC pads. My main question is about the piston diameter of the Lincoln brakes. I basically just want the added leverage of the bigger rotor. Will the stock m/c and prop valve work OK for this swap, or is the mark VIII caliper piston big enough to make the stock hydraulics an issue?

Also, a note about the rear disc sport brakes. Is there any way of doing this conversion on a drum car or will I just need to change out all of the components with a junkyard car? I honestly dont feel the drums are too big of a problem, as they seem to stop my car OK and they are 10.5" units, but may want to go to discs in the future. I assume I will need the sport master cylinder and prop. valve if I go that route. Im not sure if there will be any issues doing the conversion on a non-abs car or not? I have done the rear disc swap on my 91 mustang and I know that it requires some massive modification in the master cylinder/ prop valve area.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
The front Sport brake is a simple bolt on operation. No modification of the hydraulics is necessary.

The rear brakes on a sport T-bird are the standard Disc t-bird rear discs. there is nothing special about them. I don't know if there is any modification to the proportioning valve necessary to swap from the drums to the rear discs. I would imagine that if you can find a rear disc Cougar/T-bird that you can just get all the parts necessary from it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts