TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the OEM shocks unavailable for many years now, what are my options for aftermarket replacements if I want to retain the OE ride quality? I own a '96 T-Bird Sport with about 66K miles. One of the front shocks is bent and is rubbing against the spring so I'm looking to replace the front set.

Also, a few years back, when I owned another '96 Sport, I purchased rear shocks which were never installed. They were Motorcraft AS1030G and were supplied as replacement for birds with the Sport Option. They are white and the OE are black. Can anyone tell me if they are truly the Sport shocks or just the standard LX?

Thanks to all.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Don't know about the shocks you've got... but...

I used KYB shocks to replace my sport shocks, and I love em.. they're a great budget performance shock. Of course, I have Eibach springs as well, but my LE was a sport. Love the KYB's.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,569 Posts
I've replaced all 4 shocks with Monroe SensaTracs; the front two were their springed quick "struts" (even though they're shocks) as the front springs were busted and I had to replace them as well. I don't have sport suspension but the car definitely feels more firm than it used to. I can't compare them to KYBs or Tokicos but the price was right and it feels right to me.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I've replaced all 4 shocks with Monroe SensaTracs; the front two were their springed quick "struts" (even though they're shocks) as the front springs were busted and I had to replace them as well. I don't have sport suspension but the car definitely feels more firm than it used to. I can't compare them to KYBs or Tokicos but the price was right and it feels right to me.
I have that set up too, very decent ride.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,814 Posts
Eibachs here and The Blue Tokicos nice ride plus handling .Had the bird out today and made the comment to the better haft what a difference it made over the stock :)

·
Super Moderator
7,689 Posts
I also have the eibachs and tokicko blues in my MarkVIII, and I am very pleased with it for a daily driver. For something that is mostly a toy, I would prefer something a bit stiffer, but if you want to keep pretty close to the factory ride quality, I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend that combo to anyone.

·
Registered
123 Posts
instead of starting a new thread I figured I would hijack this one,lol,sorry,but I just bought a brand new set of sport front shocks off a member here on TCCoA and fedex screwed me on that deal as when I got them one of the shocks were busted,now what would I tell them when they ask about replacement shocks as I am getting ready to lower my bird and dont really want a crappy shock,should I tell them tokico's are basically the replacements or should I just ask for my money,my brother has a 94 sc with seemed to be pretty good front shocks,could I use the arc shocks even though I dont have arc or not?

·
Registered
123 Posts
thanks for the input master486!,looks like I will be asking for my money back from fedex
How could I adjust the ARC shocks without ARC?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would not recommend the Konis. They suck and you will have to get them warrantied. I was on my third set before the car sold, and it never was driven much other than to autocrosses or track days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts